MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Post by jonlitts »

8)

---
Jonathan

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Kids and I did some color idea mockup. I guess we're excited. Although I also love the red and green, I'm going with the navy topside/red bottom (as rendered in the MT24 study plans).

I'll be building the boat in what was going to be my new 24x24 woodworking shop. It will now primarily be the boat shed. Although something will have to be done about the 7' doorways for a 9' tall boat. Maybe install the superstructure outdoors.

The town is aware that I'm building a carport. Once the siding is on and it's inspected, time for insulation and electrical. Nothing too fancy... just 4-season functional.

I also set up a page documenting the project, and the impetus for it happening.
https://jonlitts.wixsite.com/therapeutic-vessel

---
Jonathan

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Nice looking workshop! Hope the kids are enjoying the process so far.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse »

For god's sake built the front face so you can partly disassemble the section above the doors and built it all inside.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Evan has a great plan. If you don’t, you’ll always wish you had. I wish I wasn’t a slave to the weather.

Jbo

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 pm For god's sake built the front face so you can partly disassemble the section above the doors and built it all inside.
:lol: Yes, I did weigh this option as well and have figured out a way. Definitely worth the extra effort.
---
Jonathan

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

I'll be following along with your build. It's going to be a lot of work, and (hopefully) a lot of fun.

Good luck,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

mhd wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 am I'll be following along with your build. It's going to be a lot of work, and (hopefully) a lot of fun.

Good luck,

Mick
Oh yes, fully prepared for a years-long (fun!) project.
---
Jonathan

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Happy New Year, builders!

Zero boat progress made... but definite workshop progress. I was able to squeeze 110" of height out of the door, constrained by the width needed between the center post of the building and the angle of the rafter. This should... I believe :lol: ... baaaaaaaaarely be enough to get the boat in and out of the shop on it's cradle. R38 and R19 throughout, power run, fairly well lit, and got the big sliding door hung yesterday. The door will get 2" foam board. Just need to seal up the door gaps before I can get some heat in there. OSB walls will suit me just fine.

I built this over a concrete pad that already existed on the property, giving me interior dimensions of about 23' x 23'. How frustrating for a 24' boat build :lol: . But diagonally will work fine.

Slow n' steady!

https://youtu.be/uHypQG-gQKw
Last edited by jonlitts on Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
Jonathan

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Really nice looking shop, it will make the build a joy! I would call that progress for sure.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie