MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Post by jonlitts »

*EDIT*
In reviewing the plans in greater detail, I have found that the MM21's dinette area is not long enough for an adult berth! Changing to MT24! 8)
(Glad I caught that detail sooner rather than later!)

Hello builders!

At what point in the process do you start a build thread? :lol:

After the kids and I built an 8' dinghy during COVID (basically from scrap around the shop... we had no idea what we were doing :lol: ), I'm currently honing my skills :help: :lol: on a 10' Mini Tug. Already looking ahead to the next one.

Just got my MM21 plans today! I'm sure this Tug will take me (kids and I) the whole winter, at which point the big boat can begin to begin.

If life doesn't get in the way too much, I'll be excited to be the first (I think?) to document an MM21 build to completion. 8O
Attachments
IMG_0316.jpg
Last edited by jonlitts on Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
---
Jonathan

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: MM21 Build - Upstate NY

Post by jbo_c »

Can’t wait to watch!

Jbo

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Love this boat and will be following your thread.

Dougster

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

YES! I also will be excited to see it started. How about some pics of the tug?
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:39 am YES! I also will be excited to see it started. How about some pics of the tug?
Sure! Although not much to see just yet. Finishing up the box keel at the moment.
(Incidentally... is it important to coat the inside of sealed spaces like this with epoxy? It will be getting floatation foam.)

Also, here's some footage of the first boat we made, trolling around the pond at the family camp in the Adirondacks. This boat got So many hours and So much love this season!

https://youtu.be/Rp4cJ-Rw0Kc

---
Jonathan

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yes, always seal all wood with epoxy and depending on use epoxy and fiberglass. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

jonlitts wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:41 pm
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:39 am YES! I also will be excited to see it started. How about some pics of the tug?
Sure! Although not much to see just yet. Finishing up the box keel at the moment.
(Incidentally... is it important to coat the inside of sealed spaces like this with epoxy? It will be getting floatation foam.)

Also, here's some footage of the first boat we made, trolling around the pond at the family camp in the Adirondacks. This boat got So many hours and So much love this season!
Little boat looks like it is a lot of fun!
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Well, I've made an error. Serves me right for "eyeballing it" and not verifying with the designer.

Upon reading through the plans and discovering that the MM21's dinette area is too short for an adult berth, I'm going with the MT24 which has this option. Plans are on the way.

So, start a new build thread? Or change the title and add an edit to the first post?
---
Jonathan

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Either way. It’s no practical difference to the server.

Good catch on that size issue. Much better than discovering it once you e cut plywood!
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jonlitts
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jonlitts »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:30 am Either way. It’s no practical difference to the server.

Good catch on that size issue. Much better than discovering it once you e cut plywood!
Ok, thanks brother. I guess we'll keep this one and change the model name in the title. Thanks!
---
Jonathan