Page 1 of 1

MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:26 pm
by jonlitts
*EDIT*
In reviewing the plans in greater detail, I have found that the MM21's dinette area is not long enough for an adult berth! Changing to MT24! 8)
(Glad I caught that detail sooner rather than later!)

Hello builders!

At what point in the process do you start a build thread? :lol:

After the kids and I built an 8' dinghy during COVID (basically from scrap around the shop... we had no idea what we were doing :lol: ), I'm currently honing my skills :help: :lol: on a 10' Mini Tug. Already looking ahead to the next one.

Just got my MM21 plans today! I'm sure this Tug will take me (kids and I) the whole winter, at which point the big boat can begin to begin.

If life doesn't get in the way too much, I'll be excited to be the first (I think?) to document an MM21 build to completion. 8O

Re: MM21 Build - Upstate NY

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:02 pm
by jbo_c
Can’t wait to watch!

Jbo

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:08 am
by Dougster
Love this boat and will be following your thread.

Dougster

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:39 am
by OrangeQuest
YES! I also will be excited to see it started. How about some pics of the tug?

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:41 pm
by jonlitts
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:39 am YES! I also will be excited to see it started. How about some pics of the tug?
Sure! Although not much to see just yet. Finishing up the box keel at the moment.
(Incidentally... is it important to coat the inside of sealed spaces like this with epoxy? It will be getting floatation foam.)

Also, here's some footage of the first boat we made, trolling around the pond at the family camp in the Adirondacks. This boat got So many hours and So much love this season!

https://youtu.be/Rp4cJ-Rw0Kc

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:52 pm
by TomW1
Yes, always seal all wood with epoxy and depending on use epoxy and fiberglass. Tom

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:48 pm
by OrangeQuest
jonlitts wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:41 pm
OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:39 am YES! I also will be excited to see it started. How about some pics of the tug?
Sure! Although not much to see just yet. Finishing up the box keel at the moment.
(Incidentally... is it important to coat the inside of sealed spaces like this with epoxy? It will be getting floatation foam.)

Also, here's some footage of the first boat we made, trolling around the pond at the family camp in the Adirondacks. This boat got So many hours and So much love this season!
Little boat looks like it is a lot of fun!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:48 am
by jonlitts
Well, I've made an error. Serves me right for "eyeballing it" and not verifying with the designer.

Upon reading through the plans and discovering that the MM21's dinette area is too short for an adult berth, I'm going with the MT24 which has this option. Plans are on the way.

So, start a new build thread? Or change the title and add an edit to the first post?

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:30 am
by Jaysen
Either way. It’s no practical difference to the server.

Good catch on that size issue. Much better than discovering it once you e cut plywood!

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:40 pm
by jonlitts
Jaysen wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:30 am Either way. It’s no practical difference to the server.

Good catch on that size issue. Much better than discovering it once you e cut plywood!
Ok, thanks brother. I guess we'll keep this one and change the model name in the title. Thanks!

Re: MT24 Build - Upstate NY

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:17 pm
by jonlitts
8)

Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:19 pm
by jonlitts
Kids and I did some color idea mockup. I guess we're excited. Although I also love the red and green, I'm going with the navy topside/red bottom (as rendered in the MT24 study plans).

I'll be building the boat in what was going to be my new 24x24 woodworking shop. It will now primarily be the boat shed. Although something will have to be done about the 7' doorways for a 9' tall boat. Maybe install the superstructure outdoors.

The town is aware that I'm building a carport. Once the siding is on and it's inspected, time for insulation and electrical. Nothing too fancy... just 4-season functional.

I also set up a page documenting the project, and the impetus for it happening.
https://jonlitts.wixsite.com/therapeutic-vessel

Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 am
by OrangeQuest
Nice looking workshop! Hope the kids are enjoying the process so far.

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 pm
by Evan_Gatehouse
For god's sake built the front face so you can partly disassemble the section above the doors and built it all inside.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:49 am
by jbo_c
Evan has a great plan. If you don’t, you’ll always wish you had. I wish I wasn’t a slave to the weather.

Jbo

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:07 am
by jonlitts
Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:28 pm For god's sake built the front face so you can partly disassemble the section above the doors and built it all inside.
:lol: Yes, I did weigh this option as well and have figured out a way. Definitely worth the extra effort.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 am
by mhd
I'll be following along with your build. It's going to be a lot of work, and (hopefully) a lot of fun.

Good luck,

Mick

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:24 pm
by jonlitts
mhd wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:09 am I'll be following along with your build. It's going to be a lot of work, and (hopefully) a lot of fun.

Good luck,

Mick
Oh yes, fully prepared for a years-long (fun!) project.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:31 am
by jonlitts
Happy New Year, builders!

Zero boat progress made... but definite workshop progress. I was able to squeeze 110" of height out of the door, constrained by the width needed between the center post of the building and the angle of the rafter. This should... I believe :lol: ... baaaaaaaaarely be enough to get the boat in and out of the shop on it's cradle. R38 and R19 throughout, power run, fairly well lit, and got the big sliding door hung yesterday. The door will get 2" foam board. Just need to seal up the door gaps before I can get some heat in there. OSB walls will suit me just fine.

I built this over a concrete pad that already existed on the property, giving me interior dimensions of about 23' x 23'. How frustrating for a 24' boat build :lol: . But diagonally will work fine.

Slow n' steady!

https://youtu.be/uHypQG-gQKw

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:50 am
by VT_Jeff
Really nice looking shop, it will make the build a joy! I would call that progress for sure.

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:53 pm
by Evan_Gatehouse
Until I saw the offset door in the video I was worried about getting a diagonally oriented boat out!

Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:35 pm
by Fuzz
Having a nice shop to work out of is something that will bring you joy forever :D

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:03 am
by jonlitts
Well, life comes at you fast, as they say.

It seems I now need to find a new home in the near future. Long story, involving my wife's passing (9/30/22) and our affairs not being in order.

I am ok with it. Perhaps too many memories here anyway. But the project is paused.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:10 am
by CNYBoater
Sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Planning your affairs for such events is always difficult. When my father passed my mom stayed in the house. However, they had previously sold adjacent property to her parents and my sister. After my sister moved away, and he parents passed it was to difficult to stay, to many memories as you said.

My own plans are on hold as well, running realistic numbers on the build I want (CAT22) is outside my budget at present, since I want to build from the kit. I just can't justify to my family the upfront cost for a multiyear project. Hope you keep your dream boat in the back of your mind for when circumstances changes. It is my hope that BBC is here for the long term.

Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:03 am
by VT_Jeff
Extremely sorry to hear about your wife and about now needing to move, Jon. I hope you can find a suitable place quickly and get back to your boat-building therapy asap. Keep us posted.

Jeff

Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:51 am
by jonlitts
CNYBoater wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:10 am Sorry to hear of your wife's passing. Planning your affairs for such events is always difficult. When my father passed my mom stayed in the house. However, they had previously sold adjacent property to her parents and my sister. After my sister moved away, and he parents passed it was to difficult to stay, to many memories as you said.

My own plans are on hold as well, running realistic numbers on the build I want (CAT22) is outside my budget at present, since I want to build from the kit. I just can't justify to my family the upfront cost for a multiyear project. Hope you keep your dream boat in the back of your mind for when circumstances changes. It is my hope that BBC is here for the long term.
VT_Jeff wrote:Extremely sorry to hear about your wife and about now needing to move, Jon. I hope you can find a suitable place quickly and get back to your boat-building therapy asap. Keep us posted.

Jeff
Thank you guys, very much. It's been extremely hard, obviously.

I'll pick it up again when the time and circumstances are right.

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:26 pm
by Jmk2000
Hey John,

Hang in there Brother I can’t even imagine what y’all are going through. I’m anxiously watching your post and journey as I just bought a set of MM21 plans also. Hoping to start in the next year or so but wanted to be able to study and get my plan together before diving in.

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:55 am
by jonlitts
Jmk2000 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:26 pm Hey John,

Hang in there Brother I can’t even imagine what y’all are going through. I’m anxiously watching your post and journey as I just bought a set of MM21 plans also. Hoping to start in the next year or so but wanted to be able to study and get my plan together before diving in.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. It may end up that I end up watching YOU first! :)

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:26 am
by Evan_Gatehouse
I'm incredibly sorry to hear of your wife. Our very best wishes for your future, whether it includes boat building or not.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:46 pm
by jonlitts
Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:26 am I'm incredibly sorry to hear of your wife. Our very best wishes for your future, whether it includes boat building or not.
Thank you my friend. I love (and have plans for) both of your designs, and still hope to finish one someday.

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:50 pm
by jonlitts
Hello builders. Despite not having adequate shop space yet, I just had to see the size of this basket mould. Couldn’t help myself.

Also had a question… Is there any reason not to finish the hull, and complete the rest of the build while on its trailer?

Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:12 pm
by jbo_c
Whew. That’s gonna be a big boat.

My inclination is that once all the stringers and bulkheads are fully glassed in, you should be able to work on a trailer if it’s VERY well supported(my plan with my own boat). I’m sure smarter people than me will opine.

Can’t wait to watch.

Jbo

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:42 am
by pee wee
The main problem with working on it while it's on a trailer is it will be sitting up higher. A smaller concern is that a trailer won't support a flimsy hull as well as a basket mold would, but you can add support to the trailer where needed. Ceiling height in your work space may be an issue, but probably the biggest one is the extra climbing you'll be doing from floor height to stepping into the boat- 5.7 million times. Picture climbing a ladder and stepping into the boat, only to realize you left a critical tool on the bench, so it's back down to get it and back up to work. Even if the hull is sitting on the floor you'll need a step ladder to get in and out, but it's less steps. If that's not a problem for you, then it would make things a little easier not to have to lift a completed boat up to load on a trailer later.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:38 pm
by Fuzz
Why do you want to build on a trailer? There can be good reasons for doing it but I would prefer not to. Each step up and down working on the boat adds up. Also right from the start take to time to build a set of rolling stairs. Stairs beat a ladder by a mile and you will be glad built them.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:48 pm
by jonlitts
Thanks guys! Good wisdom there. Main reason for thinking about it was to be able to move it around if I needed garage space for something else.

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:57 pm
by jonlitts
I mentioned that my/my late wife's affairs were not in order when she passed... This led to her sons receiving all of her estate (including, of course, my big beautiful new workshop). We were together 5 years. Fortunately we had squared away the beneficiary portion of our retirement and life insurance policies.

I'm honestly very happy with the move (on many levels, all healing). Despite having to leave what was my home, I quickly (and perhaps by her helping hand) found an absolutely perfect piece of property in the foothills of the Adirondack Park. There was a house here years ago that burned down, leaving the vacant slab you see in the picture above. I had built a 20' tiny house on wheels about 6 years ago which I towed over here and am living in, while I build a small but full-sized house. There's also a detached 2-car garage some distance from the slab that escaped the fire. The plan is to jack that up 2', extend the 24' length to 30', and insulate.

I had thought that I'd put the Maia project on the very back burner since I now have a house to build. Mature. Sensible. Logical.

Months have gone by, and my kids (12 and 16) and I continued to talk about the Big Boat, and taking it down to Cape May, NJ where my family has vacationed every summer since the '80's.

This past week, I suddenly had a realization. They love the tiny house. I love the tiny house. It's extremely cheap to live in, allowing the accounts to build somewhat.

Having experienced the unexpected, sudden death of my love and partner in life, it's extremely important to me, more than ever, to seize the day. I'm very, very careful of "maybe next year"... "maybe in a few years."

So! The full-sized house can wait. We're building a big boat to meander down to Cape May, maybe (?) finishing while my kids are still interested in hanging out with their ole dad. :lol:

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:45 pm
by Doug N
Sounds like a good decision. Building the big house can definitely be pushed back to make room for doing something your kids are interested in. You already have a place to live that you and your kids enjoy. Life is good. I found building my boat very much a way of lowering the stress level in my life and something I really enjoyed.
Doug

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:49 pm
by Fuzz
At one point in my life I had a 400sf house and a 2400sf shop. Everything I had was paid off. When my boss would be a pain in the butt I would remind him I could gain weight on unemployment :wink: A simple life has a lot going for it. spend your time with the kids, they will be gone far too soon.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:35 am
by jbo_c
Fuzz wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:38 pm Each step up and down working on the boat adds up. Also right from the start take to time to build a set of rolling stairs. Stairs beat a ladder by a mile and you will be glad built them.
This is an excellent point and a good idea whether you work on a trailer or not.

It’s amazing how many times you step on to and into.

Jbo

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:15 pm
by Jmk2000
Jon,

So glad you’ve found piece with everything. I have loved tiny houses for a long time and dream of someday having one in the mountains of North Carolina. I’m thrilled to see you are beating me to the boat build! I can’t wait to see the progress. Are you building yours directly in a basket or are you going to do the hull upside down and then flip it after it’s finished?

I’ve been dreaming of beginning mine sooner than later. My youngest is about 3 weeks from us moving her into the forms for her freshman year in college. Im still in love with the MM21 hull design and the Tug look. I am however strongly debating on stretching the hill length 2-3’ (adding it in at the main bulkhead where the v-berth starts. This would make the v-berth larger and more comfortable. We’re dreaming of making this boat for our great loop adventure!

Josh

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:18 pm
by TomW1
Josh if your thinking of stretching the Maia21 2-3' you might as well build the Maia24. :D

Tom

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:36 pm
by TomW1
jonlitts it sounds like you have come to a secure point in your life. With your two older boys they can help you whip out the Maia24 in a shorter time. Good luck and post some pictures as you build.

Tom

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:59 pm
by Jmk2000
TomW1 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:18 pm Josh if your thinking of stretching the Maia21 2-3' you might as well build the Maia24. :D

Tom
Hi Tom,

Yea I get that but I like the design and lines of the MM21 better lol. That’s the beauty of the build, it’s I. The eyes of the beholder. Might just call it the MM21+2

Josh

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 2:37 pm
by TomW1
Jmk2000 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:59 pm
TomW1 wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:18 pm Josh if your thinking of stretching the Maia21 2-3' you might as well build the Maia24. :D

Tom
Hi Tom,

Yea I get that but I like the design and lines of the MM21 better lol. That’s the beauty of the build, it’s I. The eyes of the beholder. Might just call it the MM21+2
you
Josh
Okay just be aware that you will need more wood more like the Maia24 needs. Just take the plans and multiply all the measurements by 10%. This will give you the 23' boat you want.

Tom

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:00 am
by pee wee
It sounds like you've looked at the options and made an informed decision. I agree that the MM21 has an imaginative, romantic look to it (I can picture Popeye on a boat like this), and the MM24 by comparison looks like a bloated whale (my opinion), or to be kinder, it looks plain. Adding two feet after the v-berths would probably work fine, but scaling up might be a better option. You could build the MM21 topside on a MM24 hull, as another way to go, but you'd lose the round stern.

Barraman went the route of scaling up and also completely redesigning the interior of his boat, and is (justifiably) proud of his accomplishment. Going that route means figuring out your own materials list, taking extra time, being less efficient with materials, but getting a boat that fits your wishes to a T.

Whichever way you decide to go, I applaud your efforts.

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:55 pm
by Jmk2000
Hi Jonlits,

Sorry my question kinda hijacked your thread there for a little bit. I hope your build continues. Can’t wait to see some more pictures and progress!

Josh

Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:53 pm
by jonlitts
Jmk2000 wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:55 pm Hi Jonlits,

Sorry my question kinda hijacked your thread there for a little bit. I hope your build continues. Can’t wait to see some more pictures and progress!

Josh
No worries at all, my man. I love it. 8)

My kids have been hot on building an HB20, even over the Maia :lol: , so we may even do that one first. :help: :lol:

Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:56 pm
by Jmk2000
Johnathan,

Good to go! Man one boat at a time! You’ll have 2 built before I do. Had to look up what the HB20 was. I want to start on my build but I’m not 15 days from my youngest moving into the dorms at college so I’m bleeding 🤑💰at the moment.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:40 am
by jonlitts
Jmk2000 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:56 pm Johnathan,

Good to go! Man one boat at a time! You’ll have 2 built before I do. Had to look up what the HB20 was. I want to start on my build but I’m not 15 days from my youngest moving into the dorms at college so I’m bleeding 🤑💰at the moment.
Congrats dad! But yes, there is that pesky issue of finances! :lol: Interesting that you mention college, though... A large part of the goal here is taking a boat trip together before my 10th grader goes off to school, or at least is still interested in a trip. :lol: :wink:

So basically, with my unplanned move to a property needing it's own attention from me, time ticks by, and the MT24 gets further and further out of the question for this particular purpose. I'm all fine with a "work boat finish", but even that seems undoable before she's off to school. As a carpenter and cabinetmaker, I'm slightly more confident in getting an HB20 together in a shorter timeframe. Either way, we're excited for the build. We're very close to the Hudson here in upstate NY, which brings a bunch of travel possibilities.

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:31 am
by Jmk2000
Those 2 years are gonna fly by Brother! She’ll be off before you know it. Times a ticking. I was looking at the HB20 plans and it really caught my eye too. Not as sexy as the MM21 but could definitely see it being an easier and more straight forward build. Regardless what you decide I love your dream and so happy your kids are onboard with the project! Can’t wait to see progress pictures especially if the kids are in them too. You’re making memories for a life time! Pick one and get to it. There is NOTHING wrong with a workboat finish. I’m thinking the same thing. It’s a boat. If it gets a ding I won’t loose my line if it happens.

Josh