Epoxy and humidity

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Epoxy and humidity

Post by jbo_c »

Seems like I read/dreamed/made up that high humidity can cause issues with epoxy work. Is that right? - and, if so, how much issue?

Very high humidity this morning and rain later this evening. I’m working in an open pole barn. Should I hold off on epoxy work?

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Epoxy and humidity

Post by Jaysen »

You’re thinking of blush. It’s a byproduct of the chemical process in high humidity. It’s a yellow/orangey wax that will be present on the surface of the epoxy. Do NOT sand it. Remove with alcohol and a frequently changed rag. If left in place it will reduce adhesion between epoxy layers.

I built under a tarp in South Carolina lowcountry through a winter and summer. Use low blush epoxy (BBC is low blush) and clean frequently. You’ll be fine.

My wife is laughing. “You all need to stop embarrassing those boats and they won’t blush!” Yep. I married a good one.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Beginning to look like it’s going to mist rain all day. That means I’m out either way.

Poop. Probably only a few more working days left before work is done for the year.

Jbo

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

It depends on the epoxy as well. Some that usually cost more don't blush, so you should see if the epoxy you are using is susceptible before you worry about.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

"Blush is water soluble and can be removed with an abrasive pad and water, after the epoxy has cured hard. 3-M Scotch-Brite® General Purpose Hand Pads or similar abrasive scrunge pads work well for abrading and dulling the shiny surface. Detergents and solvents are not required or recommended for removing blush."

Copied from here:
https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php/mi ... ine-blush/
Hank