General CNC Kit Question

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
greatlakesmann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

General CNC Kit Question

Post by greatlakesmann »

Other than the labor and time involved, just how easy is the CNC kit to put together?

I apologize for the possibly ignorant question, but is it similar to buying a LEGO kit and following the instructions? Obviously that is an over simplistic comparison, but I can't think of anything else that would be similar, maybe buying something from IKEA and assembling it yourself? I have always been good at following instructions lol.

I am thinking about the DE25 (cabin model), I was thinking of starting with the Outboard Dory 16 as a first build OD16, would that be a decent first boat for someone with minimal experience? Any other boats you'd recommend that are in the 15-20 foot range that would be decent for a first timer, and still somewhat sea worthy? I find most lakes I boat on are choppy and have lots of wake boats, so if I built something, I'd want to be able to handle a 3-4 foot wake without swamping when the wake boats come-a-rolling-by.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: General CNC Kit Question

Post by Reid »

greatlakesmann wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:04 pm Other than the labor and time involved, just how easy is the CNC kit to put together?

I apologize for the possibly ignorant question, but is it similar to buying a LEGO kit and following the instructions? Obviously that is an over simplistic comparison, but I can't think of anything else that would be similar, maybe buying something from IKEA and assembling it yourself? I have always been good at following instructions lol.

I am thinking about the DE25 (cabin model), I was thinking of starting with the Outboard Dory 16 as a first build OD16, would that be a decent first boat for someone with minimal experience? Any other boats you'd recommend that are in the 15-20 foot range that would be decent for a first timer, and still somewhat sea worthy? I find most lakes I boat on are choppy and have lots of wake boats, so if I built something, I'd want to be able to handle a 3-4 foot wake without swamping when the wake boats come-a-rolling-by.
Greatlakesman,

The CNC kit can save a builder a significant amount of time (especially on the DE25) and eliminate costly cutting/measuring errors.
Some notable benefits of the CNC kit are:
- Puzzle joints for the hull panels. Takes place of butt blocks.
- Frames and stringer notches cut to make assembly easy and accurate.
- Stitch holes pre-drilled

Please feel free to give me a call to discuss. I would be happy to go over the DE25 and/or the OD16.

Thank you,
Reid
772-742-8535
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you want the most seaworthy boat in your range the C17 or C19 are your best choices. They have a deeper inside for safety and a sharper V to cut through the waves. Both boats will allow you to proceed in larger waves especially the C19, the C17 will require you to slow down sooner. I would not build the OD16 as it flat bottomed and not really suited for the Great Lakes.

Well, that is my two cents worth 1 tomorrow.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Why the OD16?

If it's the boat you really want build it. Outboard dories have been taken through inlets and into the gulfstream. They can handle a lake if you can handle the flat bottom.

If it's really the DE25 you want, most builders start with a canoe or dinghy. I'd build the FS13, plyak, canoe or one of the smaller dinghies. That way you can use it as a tender when you finish the big boat. It's a big enough project to get into and learn the methods, and small enough that you will finish it, even if life gets in the way.

But I would not build an OD16 as a project to learn on. Build it if you want to use it.

Agree with Tom with respect to the C17 and C19. My nearly complete C17 build looks extremely seaworthy for a 17' boat.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Hi Greatlakesman: The cnc kit is a great way to go. I built the C17 from a kit and it went together quickly and with very little fuss. I am a master carpenter with over forty five years experience and could have very easily managed cutting the pieces myself, but the C17 kit was offered for sale by someone local who never started the project. There is so much more work to do than just laying out and cutting those pieces yourself, and I never felt as though I skipped an important part of the building process....and it does get the project going right away
The C17 has ample freeboard....and gives the feeling of being "in" a boat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

For me the cnc kit was a space saver. Instead of having to layout full sheets to mark up and then cut, I only had to have enough space for the precut panel pieces. Also let me use simple tools vs needing to get out a circular saw or jig saw (although I did use my sawzal because lazy).
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Built the LB22, SK14, cheap canoe and one of the kayaks, never used the CNC kit. Liked cutting out the panels, was fun and easy. Unlike the above post guys I had no experience and benefited considerably from the confidence building of laying out the panels and cutting the curves with the circular saw. People ask me if I used a kit at the launch ramp. It's fun saying no. With a small build, like a canoe it would save time. Not so much with the big builds I think, 'cuz they can take years. I cut the panels for the LB22 in a week or two.

And no, the kit won't be like leggos :D

Dougster

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

My boat building consists of two CNC cut Kayak kits. The first one took me 9 months to complete. On the second one, in one weekend, I completed what took me 3 months to do on the first one. I learned a lot about work flow and what can be done parallel with other things.

What do YOU want out of the experience? I build to get it done and get on the water. Others enjoy the end to end process. I don't have a large work area. The kayaks were built in my living room when I was single and could do things like that. Married with 3 children now. Time and space are a problem. Now that I know the process, cutting panels is maybe 5% of the whole build. It is a daunting task because it comes first. A CNC kit quickly gets you to a point where you can sit in something that looks like a boat and make boat noises. That is a huge motivator.

My opinion: Your first boat should be a CNC cut kit. By doing this first, you will see that cutting panels isn't as difficult as it seems starting out. There will be plenty of things to cut and shape from raw stock further in the build. Personally, I will opt for a kit any time it is offered. I can see a day when I will do everything but for now, kits work best for me.

greatlakesmann
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by greatlakesmann »

Rmarsh wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:14 am Hi Greatlakesman: The cnc kit is a great way to go. I built the C17 from a kit and it went together quickly and with very little fuss. I am a master carpenter with over forty five years experience and could have very easily managed cutting the pieces myself, but the C17 kit was offered for sale by someone local who never started the project. There is so much more work to do than just laying out and cutting those pieces yourself, and I never felt as though I skipped an important part of the building process....and it does get the project going right away
The C17 has ample freeboard....and gives the feeling of being "in" a boat.
I really like the design of the C17, the C19 looks like a center console? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, the CX19 looks like an express style boat. I definitely like the cuddy cabin design, I want a tall protected bow and self bailing deck for when the water gets rough. Even though you never plan to stuff the bow, it's nice knowing that you can take water over the bow and not have it come inside the boat, and that any rain or splashes will bail themselves out.

The only thing I would add would be a more enclosed cockpit, I like the idea of having a roof over my head when the winds starting blowing, or when it's raining. Could the C17 be adapted to have a curtain or door on the back of an enclosed cockpit?

Another follow up question, could a portable head be added to the C17 or CX19? That is one requirement I would like, for longer trips, the ability to not have to stop at a dock to relieve oneself would come in handy.

I did notice this in the study plans "The addition
of a canvas enclosure and windshield or even a hardtop shelter will provide complete protection
from the elements and standing headroom in the cockpit. Dimensioned cabin layout is included
in the plans."

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

There would be no problem adding a portable head to the CX19, you could probably add one to the C17 cabin. You could also put Plot House 2 or 3 on a C19 and make some adjustments to enclose them and add a PP in them. https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... ouse-plans. Just some thoughts.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978