Dykem blue for guide coat?

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Dykem blue for guide coat?

Post by piperdown »

Any of you heard of using this before? Putting dykem (?) blue in acetone or denatured alcohol and spreading across a surface to be faired and sanded. Acetone or denatured alcohol evaporate and you're left with a blue color that you sand. Like using a paint guide coat or graphite powder.
It talked about at 16:04 in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M46BkAtXlmo
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Dykem blue for guide coat?

Post by Jaysen »

Aceton and alcohol that is used to remove uncured epoxy? I would think you would want to wait for full cure times before you get near a hull with that stuff. Not the simple "it's hard" but the full cure time.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

A fried of mine, and someone that I consider one of the best custom boat builders alive (builder of custom North Carolina sportfishing boats), uses regular food coloring mixed into denatured alcohol. Soak a rag & wipe it over the hull. It dries VERY fast. I'm not sure of the cost of Dykem, but food coloring is almost assuredly less expensive.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Is he using ester resins or epoxy? Only asking because I like cheap solutions and if he’s using epoxy I’m all in on this idea.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

In a quick search on amazon, Dykem is $15 for 4oz and food coloring in $8 for 16oz. I'm sure the Dykem will definitely coat the epoxy and not sure if food coloring will get it done. I've never sniffed my bottle of Dykem but it must have something strong in it because it never fails to coat metal which usually has a little oil on it from machining. How will paint stick to the residual Dykem? It's not really designed for that.