GT27 Sea Keeping ability

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: GT27 Sea Keeping ability

Post by rick berrey »

The huh is he didn't intend to build a design from Bateau , as an Engineer in the marine industry he should be able to either complete his own design or get help from someone in the industry to complete it .

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GT27 Sea Keeping ability

Post by jacquesmm »

Sorry for the delayed reply: I had Covid and could not think straight for two weeks.

The GT27 is a houseboat.
She is not designed to go offshore. She should operate only in protected waters. An experienced skipper can take her out in good weather but he has to understand her limits.
I know about the different CE classifications: I started designing boats in Europe, many years ago but I don't design to the CE or ISO specs.
Except for few character boats like some of my very small runabouts, all my designs respect the ABYC and USCG specifications. In most cases, those specs match the ISO ones.
To work through the ISO specs is a major job. Specialized European design offices charge about $ 5,000.00 per design to check things like stanchions height, portholes location, stability and more.
That is why some European plans for small boats cost much more.
If you have to worry about the offshore stability of the GT27, you are looking at the wrong boat for that program.
The GT27 will be safe and comfortable in rivers, lakes and here in the US, in the ICW. I would go to the Florida Keys or maybe the Bahamas in very good weather but not more.
Where I live (Florida), the GT27 would be a great boat. It also should be ideal for many lakes and rivers, for the inshore parts of the Gulf of Mexico and others places of the world, for example, Friesland, Zuyderzee, Constanz Lake etc. but not offshore.

I know that I wrote about the skippers ability to judge the capability. It is self evident: once you have the experience, you get a feel for the boat and the weather. You will not have to ask. It is not measurable with bureaucratic rules. I remember my daughter rowing safely in her D12 from her anchored boat to the shore, with her children, in windy weather. It was safe, she knew the boat and had the experience but in the same location, same type of boat, same day, an inexperienced man capsized and almost drowned. He did not know the limits of his boat or himself and did not understand the risk. No amount of calculations would have prevented that accident.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com