What's Specifically in the Design Package?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
mizzenman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: What's Specifically in the Design Package?

Post by mizzenman »

Thanks for all the replies and information. I think I have a good idea what to expect from a $200 design package. Please don't misunderstand my questions regarding the design package details. Just because I'm asking if the package has certain details does not necessarily mean I feel I need those details spelled out to build the boat. Value is the concern. In many cases it is easier and worth the money to have plans that show the details, vice having to figure them out on your own (for ex, Ian Farrier designs are very detailed but over $1k). I was just trying to understand what I get for $200. I don't think any of Jacques designs suit my exact needs, so is it worth $200 for a design I will need to significantly modify? Maybe if it has details I can utilize. I have several books by Don Casey, Dave Gerr, etc. I have worked as an engineer in the commercial ship building industry for 10 years and spent 2 years refitting yachts. I developed a spreadsheet that will calculate scantlings from a few key inputs. I have 10's of thousands of miles under my keel, 1,000+ mile blue water passages, and have owned several boats over the last 30 years. Built some dinghies too, But nothing as complex as the project I intend to undertake now.
Thanks again... fair winds

mizzenman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mizzenman »

Evan_Gatehouse wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:16 am It might be very intimidating but because building a larger boat like this takes years it gives you time to do a bit of research and answer a lot of these questions.
Wait a second, You mean the DE25 can't be "finished" in 250 hours !? hahaha. yeah, that may be optimistic.

Thank you Evan for the detailed reply. most helpful!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Sorry for the delayed reply: I had Covid and was out of service for 2 weeks. It's over now.

In my plans, I focus on the hull and structure but not details.
All the information and dimensions are there to cut the plywood or foam and assemble the parts including the specifications for the whole structure. Every thing you need to build a complete hull. There is no need for lofting: I do that in CAD and the dimensions I extract from my 3D models are much more accurate than any lofting. I am old enough to have done a lot of lofting by hand, 3D modeling methods are more accurate.

The plans will show details like batteries, fuel and water tanks and some general routing of electricity, fuel and plumbing. I may, for example, show a certain model of WC and blackwater tank but that is where I stop. There are too many options at that point and I recommend to get some good books about boat outfitting. Each accessory will have different sizes and requirement. In almost every case, the accessory manufacturer will supply drawings or diagrams with specifications. For example, the outboard will come with a wiring harness which is a simple plug-in with a connection to the batteries and a main switch. A toilet may included a macerator pump, intermediate tank, hoses and tru-hulls that vary by model and type. That is the way it goes for every accessory from window frames to windlass or tru-hull valve.

When I was engineering manager of major boat manufacturers, I picked each accessory, made all the decisions and showed detailed plans. For amateur plans, individual builders have their preferences and when it comes to those details, each boat will be different.
My plans focus on the structure and will produce a good solid boat but I count on the builder to handle the details.
It also allows me to keep the price of the plans very low.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com