XF 20 rigging

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

XF 20 rigging

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

Reaching out for advice on a few rigging items. I am using a Yamaha F70 on Bob’s jack plate
1. Recommended steering. It’s confusing since most are for much larger engines.
2.I know trim tabs are a hot topic but if using them which one is recommended
3.Scuppers. I raised the floor 11/2 inches so should be no problem getting scuppers to function properly. I want some that simply go thru hull sides.

Any suggestions are much appreciated

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: XF 20 rigging

Post by fallguy1000 »

Once you go hydraulic; hard to do anythi g else. You can even put autopilot on it.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

For steering with a 70HP motor you really do not need hydraulic steering. Look for any of the NFB systems like this one https://www.westmarine.com/seastar-solu ... 1_005.html It is one of the best if not the best. I had NFB on my OD18 and it took no effort to turn it. If you want to go hydraulic then the Teleflex Baystar works great but it is nearly 3x the cost. https://www.westmarine.com/seastar-solu ... 00934.html

As for side scuppers do not like them. They are hard to get water to drain out and keep water from coming in.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Check out Aripeka Anglers Red Alert. Hydraulic steering with Bob's Jack plate and big holes in the side for scuppers. Running a 2 stroke Yamaha 70. Sweet setup.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I wonder if there is anyone in the world who regrets fitting hydraulic steering? I doubt it!
If you can do it within your budget - then do it! I have Seastar on my boat.
Same goes for trim tabs! On our last fishing trip the trim tab switch packed it in so we spent the week without trim tabs. Quite doable because if loaded correctly the boat will run true if at cruise speed. That said, I don't regret fitting trim tabs (Bennett hydraulic in my case) and I have just ordered a new switch.
Scuppers? I thought about them but opted for the easier option of drains into the bilge and large bilge pump capacity. If you read my posts of our last fishing trip under "For sale and anything else", we suffered an almost very serious swamping, but managed to recover the situation. The "take home" is that I should not have put the boat in that situation and the setup that I have is more then adequate for the intended operation of the boat. If you are going to regularly go off-shore then I would seriously consider scuppers. I have no suggestions as to brand.

Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

I am now ready to start thinking about paint. My hull sides will be somewhat imperfect so I want to use a high build primer. I will be rolling and tipping. What paint and rollers are recommended for amateurs. Thanks for all the previous help

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Interlux.

2 part poly over epoxy primer.

More details when you get closer, but flaws are magnified.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Yesyoucan4 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:21 pm My hull sides will be somewhat imperfect so I want to use a high build primer.
What do you expect high build primer to do for you? Even high build primer is relatively thin, so don't expect it to complete your fairing for you. If you're trying to fix imperfections in the hull sides, you may be better off applying a coat of epoxy primer so you can really see what you've got and then going back to fix what needs fixing using fairing compound.
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you are going to use any type of high-quality high gloss paint, you will need to get the sides as smooth as possible. Otherwise, every imperfection will show. None of the primers will fill imperfections.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

I am thinking of Fighting Lady Yellow which could be fine in a lower luster paint. Do you think I have choices