FS 17 Layout Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS 17 Layout Questions

Post by rbecker08 »

I am getting ready to put the lower decks in my FS17 but need to get a few layout things figured out first. For the front deck there are two frames and in between them I would like to have the fuel tank and the batteries at the center line. Now in a single compartment that is a no no but would like to attach two pieces of plywood from the stringers to the frame of the second deck above, then have another piece of ply in front of the fuel tank to create a sealed compartment containing the fuel. The fuel line will run out one direction down a gunnel and the electric down the other. The main question is can we attach components to the stringers like that and second any issues with the fuel battery set up. A few bad pictures below the plywood leaning against the fuel tank is where I would build walls to create a isolated compartment. Also would like to attach something from the stringers to the upper deck in the back for extra support for when we put a poling platform back there.

Just trying to validate my plan before i mess something up.
Attachments
20221206_203020.jpg
20221206_202944.jpg

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS 17 Layout Questions

Post by fallguy1000 »

Totally fine.

A few caveats. Allow 3% expansion for all poly fuel tanks in all directions.

The only electric lines allowed in the fuel compartment are those related to the tank. It is also against abyc standards to run fuel lines or components above the battery. Additionally, not sure if abyc prohibits, but running random electrical wires across the fuel compartment is also unwise.

A battery locker is to be vented and also requires battery trays, so allow yourself plenty of space for the trays. I did not and had to build custom trays, pita...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rbecker08
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rbecker08 »

Thanks for the reply, I was going to install a access point in the middle of the frame to get at the battery, will also add a vent. As far as getting the fuel Guage wires out, is there a recommended way to do that. Is a cable clam like I would put in for a deck penetration enough? Thanks Rich

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

All wires need to be protected from chafing in all boats.

You can do this many ways.

I prefer these two.

For an open chase, use pvc pipe, sand with 40 grit and glue in place with Black Mamba FHG.

For a few wires, cut old innertube or rubber with cloth and make it about 4 times bigger than the hole. So, for a 1/2" hole, make a 2" round or 3" round piece of rubber. Cut a hole 1/4" in the center and run the wires through. If you already wired, slit it to fit over, then in all cases; use some #4 or 6 screws to hold it. Or for 1/4" okume; you can also use bolts to deal with thin ply.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You really do not want any gas fumes, or the chance of in the battery locker, so as a matter of good practice, I'd avoid any penetrations in the shared BH unless they are sealed off from the battery. A spark is always possible there is all.