A D5 specific as well a total Newbie question..

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
LloydCt
New Poster
New Poster

A D5 specific as well a total Newbie question..

Post by LloydCt »

Greetings.
I have two Very Newbie questions and have def done homework to try to answer them, ( Home work now being reading build threads etc etc...Life is Good! ) but still here we are...

I recently purchased the D5 plans from BBC as well as printed the free plans. My specific D5 question (so far...) is regarding the Daggerboard trunk: The purchased plans and the free plans differ slighty in the illustration of said trunk. What I really dont understand is Instruction #8...
" Install two half forward bulkhead "

Ive read and reread the Daggerboard trunk instructions and scoured the plans and see no bulkhead mentioned? Let alone 'two half forward'..? There are two halves and cleats and spacers etc. and #7 says "Install trunk box in in hull." So apparently it has been built and installed by that point. But no mention of 'two half forward bulkhead'..? Totally adrift on a leeward shore with that...

2nd Very Newbie never-built-a-boat-before question:
Regarding Bottom and Side Panel layout measurements convention;

The D5 (metric) Side Panel has a 306 Typ spacing bow to stern. Then there are two vertical measurements from the lower edge of the plywood. The inside and outside curves. The first vertical group (reading left to right...) being 307 and 14 . On the plans the 14 is a bit offset... over to the right.. My probly really dumb question is: are the 307 and 14 measurements layed out on the same bow to stern spacing, (306 Typ.) and the 14 is only on the plans slightly offset to make them more legibile? Measure up 14 and on the SAME line measure up 307 ?

I appreciate any attention to some very basic questions. I had to drive an hour and a half one way to the lumber yard and the ply was over $700 so I have to get this right the first time. And with you guys help I will!
Thanks,
LLOYD

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: A D5 specific as well a total Newbie question..

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Second question first: Yes. The spacings are ALL at the 306mm TYP. (The offset on the plans you see there are for clarity only. If there is an actual offset it will be clearly marked. The curve in the sheer is for aesthetics only. It makes a pleasant curve but is slightly more difficult to draw and cut than leaving it straight.

Second question part 2. Some really good advice I received early on is to use that sheer line of that panel as a template to draw and cut out at least two layers of 6mm plywood for the rubrail per side. 18mm total, rounded on top and a layer of tape over gave my D5 a really strong and stiff hull. Doing it now is much easier and faster than once you've assembled the hull. You could use a 200g tape. I used 400g biax which was total overkill.

First question. I'd not overthink it. Assemble the hull and glue the centreboard box on the keel between frames B and C, after you cut a slot for the daggerboard.

Best advice I can give you is just get started. Build the boat and most problems will have an obvious solution as you go. Post photos and ask for feedback from time to time. I'd glass the bottom outside with 200g cloth overlapped at the keel. This will make it more durable where it counts and add minimum weight. You could then omit tape on the outside. I used 200g cloth and 400g tape Inside and out. Overkill. A 100g cloth inside will add basically no weight or labour (unless you want to fill the weave) and will make the inside more resistant to heavy use.

You could follow my build, I made a few newbie mistakes and received a lot of good pointers.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Jaysen-if you read this, please try doing a search for D5.

Maybe there is a backdoor way, but I was going to give him a link to other builds and the search string won't work??

Also, see below, no D5 in 'similar' probably for same reasons as search fail..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I did find a few build threads when I searched 'Dinghy 5 trunk'. The study pictures show a trunk ahead of the seat, but that is a different boat per JM and this first link.

viewtopic.php?p=469230&hilit=Dinghy+5+trunk#p469230

And a build thread.

viewtopic.php?t=26164&hilit=Dinghy+5+trunk&start=40

One Way can help you more, but I did find searching for the two letter combination D5 does not work well. To search, click on the lines on the upper right and go to search. It is generally a great tool, with this exception I met today.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

You need to see if you have plans for two different boats . The PK78 looks to have the dagger board case splitting the bulkhead , it has a wider beam than the D5 but looks the same . So make sure you are not looking at two different boats .

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:10 am Jaysen-if you read this, please try doing a search for D5.

Maybe there is a backdoor way, but I was going to give him a link to other builds and the search string won't work??

Also, see below, no D5 in 'similar' probably for same reasons as search fail..
I believe there is a “min length” search. Words have to be longer than 2 characters. Give me a minute to bang on the engine a bit.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Yeah. That’s the issue.

I’m not at a place to “figure this out” for a bit today. I’ll likely wind up needing to run a query directly against the data set. Give me a day or two.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.