Permanent Gas Tank Compartment Venting

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Permanent Gas Tank Compartment Venting

Post by fallguy1000 »

You just want to make sure rain cannot enter the vent.

A cheaper fix would be to raise the vent up on a small block or elevation and leave it on the roof if you have some slack. You won't know if you get ingress, but if you have a f/w separator; during annual maintenance; you may want to dump it into a clear jug and check for water as well.

If you cannot elevate the fitting; you can open damn it with two beads of caulk to reduce any water flowing in heavy rain. I assume the opening is not up or domed or some such.,
67C9B016-F502-4A77-9456-72E729125949.png
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

blueflood

Re: Permanent Gas Tank Compartment Venting

Post by blueflood »

Thanks Dan,
I check the gas tank compartment usually before a cruise and after a big downpour. There is never any water in the gas tank compartment, that is good. I hope it is the same story for the gas tank.

Those vents do not allow rain water to get in so Attwood site states. I also do have a F/W separator fitted so will check that at season end.

Coming boat season I will use the permanent 12 gal tank for extended cruising. This year I just wanted to use the portable tank and test things while puttering around.

In retrospect I would have nixed the perm tank and just go portable (two 3 gal) and save a ton of cash and effort, especially for this boat. I will not recommend installing a permanent tank to any HMD19 builder.

One 3 gal tank lasts more than a day slow cruising.

Thank you guys !
Looking in the site - quite a few gas tank / gas tank compartment questions. Sorry for the asking again :oops:

Marc