Tips for drawing batten/plywood parts storage??

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
LloydCt
New Poster
New Poster

Tips for drawing batten/plywood parts storage??

Post by LloydCt »

Greetings.
I would like to hear a couple of tips for:#1 a Drawing Batten material
#2 what is best method to store plywood parts/frames etc. after I cut them out.
I have mostly decided in cutting off a 3/4 by 1/4 strip of what the Lumber Box store is calling 'premium' grade pine. Does anyone use mdf etc which wouldnt be affected by grain etc. or does it at all matter? Pine vs. Oak etc re: stiffness? Making small boat so super long battens not needed.

Im not great with time management and it's winter temps here in CT. I am hoping to cut some of my parts ahead of an as yet undetermined time in the future when I can assemble the boat. What is the best way to store them for maybe a month or so? Cut them out and stack them in one flat stack possibly weighted? In the furnace room = good or in the furnace room = worst possible place for warpage etc. or it dosnt matter..?

Any thoughts on either question would def help this neophyte builder.

p.s. Re my D5 build it was suggested I 'just start' which I def appreciated. I have but what Im doing is practicing on full size large cardboard pieces to get the hang of things first.

LLOYD

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Tips for drawing batten/plywood parts storage??

Post by fallguy1000 »

Gotta keep them flat. Sticker or lay on flat floor that is for sure dry. If stickering the bottom; use same dimension material space every 6" max apart. Weight should not matter.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I stored my cut pieces on half an "A" frame I made for storing plywood. My warehouse is very high humidity and don't have the space to lay plywood flat. I stored it all on the A-frame for a few years. Was still very flat. We are talking 7 or 8 sheets of plywood and only a few were marine grade. The rest were very cheap stuff they use to protect tabletops in transit but they had edges on them to provide a very flat surface and air gaps so no moisture could build up and cause mold. Some of the pieces were cut for my sole and gunnels and things like that.

My A-frame has a lip at the bottom to hold multi sheets without slipping out and to keep everything off the wet floor. It's as wide as a sheet of plywood but has a foot print of 4'X 4', but is 8' tall.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I store all my plywood, whole and cut parts, on the floor under my 4x8 workbench between 1" sheets of insulation. Works for me, no warpage since i moved to this method. Maybe not the most convenient.
Attachments
20221214_200456.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I used something similar to your plan for a batten. I cut a few different widths and played around with them to see which i liked. I may have used a pvc pipe for the long curve of my bow.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Chenier
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chenier »

I'm not sure how small your "small boat" is. Mine was 14.5'. For a batten I used a 16' length of 7/16 x 1-5/8 clear pine from the box store. I might have found it in the mouldings section. Worked like a champ and I still have it.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Not sure when/where/who… someone once suggested 1/2” pvc. Use couplers for longer lengths.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Do not lay your plywood directly on the floor or even on plastic. Lay it on 2x4's spaced every 18" to allow air flow under the plywood, it will keep that way for years. As someone suggested above 1/2" PVC pipe works best as it is cheap, flexible and can be adjusted in length. you can even use 3/8 or 1/4" to reduce the cost.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Maybe just me, but I didn't like using PVC for battens. Like Chenier, I used moulding from Home Depot.

Dougster