Swift Canoe or other?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Swift Canoe or other?

Post by TomTom »

I have a 2.5 Hp engine and was wondering whether this would push the swift canoe along - this would be for protected waters and lakes.

Also could one car top the swift canoe or is it too big?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Swift Canoe or other?

Post by Dougster »

I'm guessing it won't plane but will coast along quite plesantly. Cartop? Possible but at 175lbs 73 year old me wouldn't be up for it. Plenty of guys probably are. See what others here say.

Dougster

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Cartopping is always subject to one thing for me. My back! I drove 270 miles to go fishing on a favorite lake that doesn't allow motors. Got to the landing and blew my back out unloading the thing off the truck. Sat there staring at the boat on the ground..no way was I going camping anymore. I managed to get the boat back on the truck and drove 6 hours home all same day. The twisting movements taking a boat off and on the vehicle are the culprit. It is almost impossible to not lever the back loading. Finding a cheap trailer is always the best, then you can even leave the motor on and stow the gear on the trailer.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Yeah, at 175 pounds it is to heavy for a car top. Even if you could lift it the weight on the roof would exceed the weight carrying capacity of most roof tops.

There are other small boats that weigh less and can still take up to 6hp motors and if you have to put it on the roof then it would be easier. Or, get a small, used utility trailer, extend the tongue, a pair of bunks and trailer it.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I’d say at 175 pounds it’s marginal for truck loading. - not that you couldn’t do it, but you might be less likely to.

I had a 16’ kayak that was fine for truck loading and weighed way less. Ended up selling it because it was a pain to take out compared to the 12 footers, so I just took them instead.

Jbo

cape man

Post by cape man »

Mine is 98 lbs. My wife and I can load and unload it. It will plane with one person and a throttle extension sitting on the floor. They clocked us at 9 mph when we launched it with me, my wife, and a cooler full of beer.

[viewtopic.php?t=60883]

I had the same criteria as you. 2.5 hp engine and cartop transport.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman