Loctite 5min epoxy as 'tacking' product

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
LloydCt
New Poster
New Poster

Loctite 5min epoxy as 'tacking' product

Post by LloydCt »

Greetings,
I hope everyone is pacing themselves while shoveling...

I am wondering if anyone has used Loctite 5min epoxy as a TACKING ONLY product in stitch and glue, then use 'real' boat building resin etc. and fiberglass etc and techniques. I can get tubes locally from the hardware store for < $4.00, and only buy as needed.(And buy same day...) There are 'real' cartridge and gun combos that are $40 and then $15 for more cartridges. And then waiting...The paperwork for Loctite says it has a 2500 psi shear strength. (Not exactly sure what that is...but seems good enuf...) I really like the idea of the accuracy and potential 'controllability' of the plunger. Im doing a D5 so subjecting it to D5 loads not Blue Water and quad 500 hp. outboards or anything.
LLOYD

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Loctite 5min epoxy as 'tacking' product

Post by OrangeQuest »

5 Minute epoxy made by Loctite does not hold up to water. Used it to build R/C boats and it fails once water gets to it. Only used it on my first R'C boat.

From loctite:
Limitations:
 Not recommended for polyethylene, polypropylene, non-stick coatings, nylon products or flexible materials
 Not suitable for applications requiring short-term heat exposure greater than 302°F (150°C)
Not recommended for application with prolonged water immersion or continuously wet areas
 Not for use on potable water systems
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I use hotglue for most of my tacking. A gun costs like $15 and an extra thing of glue sticks is $10.

I only use it to spot something. So, like for a bulkhead, spot the bh in 4-8 places and then fillet and tape it in..

Many pro builders use crazy glue for tacking or holding. Say you want to turn a bolt in, but only one guy. You push the bolt in, run the nut, and then spot the nut with crazy glue; then push it up; hold it for 30 seconds and go back and turn the bolt. If the nut spins out at the end; just spot it again and get it a few hours later.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

LloydCt
New Poster
New Poster

Post by LloydCt »

Oh man!

I wanted to build a boat with ' not recomended for boats glue ' hahahahaha...That would have been realy bad...

Thanks for both of the posts. I think the hot glue gun will be the way I go.

LLOYD

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I used super glue on R/C boat wooden boat frames, and it works ok but resin thirsty wood likes to suck it up and it may take a few applications to get it to stick. Other issue I had was it sticks better to finger clamps than the wood and when pulling the fingers away it pulls the plank away too. 8O
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

None of my hotglue is ever exposed in the final boat. It is always embedded in thickened resins or under tapes.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Generally I go for screws or clamps, but I have used small pieces of VHB tape for tacking precoated cleats in place. The cleats need to be presealed. Today I cleated my consoles without any clamping or screwing at all. Just placed and squeezed. I was going to screw but the cleats were not moving. Sometimes they will stay in place if it's cold enough and the glue is thick enough. If you coat both surfaces and wait for gel before you push them together that helps, for small objects.

Wooden dowels or even toothpicks are also worth a shot depending on what you are tacking. No need to remove them. And there's always cable ties. I used hotglue once or twice as well.

Many ways to skin a cat.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I use hotglue for most of my tacking. A gun costs like $15 and an extra thing of glue sticks is $10.
Ditto :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

There are also better instant epoxies/glues than Loctite. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978