Best boat for running into chop/ head-sea comfortably?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Best boat for running into chop/ head-sea comfortably?

Post by rick berrey »

The GS28 has a pilot house option , as long as it is built lite in the shape of the tower . I agree with fallguy , the 25 is to short and skinny , if it were a viable option it would be in the plans . GS28 with a lite pilot house and jump cabin would fit your needs with the exception of the 115 . You can run twins so maybe you could mate your 115 to a lower hp motor .

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

If you have other thoughts about the Tolmans different than what I have expressed please voice them. What I know about them is from watching a couple being built and talking with a few owners.

If you are not going to try for a work of art I think a 25 panga can be built pretty quickly. I would reach out to Panga Ron if possible and pick his brain. He is running a Honda 90 I think. And the one thing he did not like is the deck was too low if I remember correctly.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I guess my concern would be that you run the risk of having two half finished boats for longer than you might think. I don't know what resources you have but knocking out a Panga in less than a year would be an amazing feat.

If it were me I'd buy a cheap boat to use for a year, or just take the time to get'er done on the Tolman.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Question why are you thinking of building a Panga25 basically the same size of the Tolman you have started, just not as wide. The Panga25 will take you about 6 months to a year to build counting time waiting for epoxy to cure and other things that need time in-between steps, despite what the hours say in the study plans. For example, the OD18 is listed as needing 80 hors for completing the hull. The Panga25 is also not designed for the wave states you are talking about; you will need to slow down from 20kts. The Panga25 is only 7'5" wide making it narrow for her length and has a shallow deadrise of less than 10 degrees. You can adjust one of the Pilot house designs to your needs.

My suggestion again is built the GS28X or CS25 or finish the Tolman you have started, just do not build the Panga25. Do not build the boat to the motor, build the boat to the conditions and then get the motor/motors. I am going to be frank here, even though you have the 115 and it fits the Panga perfectly the Panga is the wrong boat for your area and the conditions. Like Fuzz said those charter boats are much longer than the PG25, probably in the 32-35 foot range and wider. and probably around 10' wide.

Well good luck on whichever way you decide to go. :)

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Tom's post is called wisdom. Meeting the requirements of the boat is paramount.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

I know that the OP asked about 20 kts into chop but if we take it to mean “what is the best hull to go the fastest one can into chop in comfort” then here are a few thoughts…

The PG25 plans seems to not have much deadrise aft of center - so I am assuming at speed she would pound into chop. One of the advantages of a Panga is that she doesn’t drop off the plane/ have a hump at lower speeds which means you can maybe go faster than displacement but slower than a pure planing hull; but not 20 kts.

Even on my C19 stretched, there is a definite speed where you have to be going fast enough to stay on the plane or slow enough to come off it - otherwise you wallow at a very inefficient speed/ angle. I would say this is around 12 kts for me. It can be an uncomfortable speed.

At a guess a GS28 would probably be the best compromise between being able to slow down enough for comfort but not come off the plane the way something like a CS25 might.

Or maybe an Abaco 23 - but seems real life examples are few?

Or maybe the LB26?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Guest, have we answered your questions and have you created an account so we can help you from here on out.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

It wants to be long (longer than the wave period for wind-driven steep waves), sharp entry, and level. So Cg forward or big tabs. Heavy helps too, which you won't find here among planing boats. 20kts is moving.

GS28 probably has the best hull form and size, but I don't see that being comfortable at 20kt either.

I have gotten crushed in the DE25 heading back from the Bahamas, twice, directly into afternoon thunderstorm-driven chop. 3', steep, and period just longer than the boat. That was before trim tabs.