Panga Glass Schedule Questions?

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
barrelroll
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Panga Glass Schedule Questions?

Post by barrelroll »

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the Panga plans though I'm a little unclear on what gets glassed and what gets just epoxy on it.

-Frames/ stringers do they get glassed or just taped to the hull?

-Sole/ Deck, I'm assuming 1 layer of glass both sides though can't find a call out for glassing the sole.

-Gunnels, what should they get? Just glass the topside or glass under before installing?

-Cabin, I can't find any mention of glass for the cabin, I'm thinking 4oz outside, epoxy inside

What else am I missing as far as what needs glass and what doesn't?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Panga Glass Schedule Questions?

Post by fallguy1000 »

Building notes...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

barrelroll
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by barrelroll »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:52 pm Building notes...
Got a link/ page/ drawing they are on in the panga plans? They are vary vague. The building notes just has a link to a couple pages on the web and isn't even in the standard plans. I know what I'll probably do after building a Tolman though would like to figure out what the designer intended for some things.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

This is not Panga specific advice - but in general the plans spec the minimum amount of glass needed and anywhere that it is not shown in the lamination schedule/ building notes it is assumed that you can just clear coat with epoxy…

But, in most cases it adds very little weight/ cost to add a thin layer of glass elsewhere and there are many benefits, so this is what many builders do.

It is certainly what I would recommend.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

The plans have the required glass for structural reasons only. As Tom Tom said, anymore glass is an option. A good option, but an option (assuming you are using a quality Meranti or Okoume).

If you are using marine fir then all plywood will need to be glassed to avoid checking.

If it helps I use 200g on any surface exposed to wear and tear, and just epoxy or 100g glass on surfaces exposed to weathering only. Glass on the underside of decks etc is not required, or recommended.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Glass for abrasion resistance on the bottom is minimum 2x 6 oz for boats not beaching. Up the keel minimum would be a single tape of 1708, but a 6" wide and 4" or two staggerred 4" much better. Wanna beach? Gonna want the heavier stuff and biax on the bottom.

Sole or deck for abrasion light use is 6oz for say a canoe x2 layer in footwell.

For a boat the minimum is 12oz biax, and a maximum is 1708 which is 25oz biax with chop.

All exposed endgrains of plywood should get closed with glass; min 6 oz, up to 1708 for say a transom top. The transom tops open up otherwise.

4 oz glass is a bit too light and awfully easy to sand thru... if you have it already, consider doubling; otherwise I prefer 6oz.

The gunnels I would lay on 6 oz, or 12oz biax for a heavier use fishing boat. The bottoms need nothing if okume. If ext ply, then I'd go 4-6 oz or just epoxy coat them.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

IF you're building the Panga 20, 22, 25 the glass lamination schedule is B265. 266, 267/7 it will give you all the info you need for glassing your boat. From the bill of materials, I see that you use 12oz biax cloth, 6oz biax tape and 4oz woven tape. Normally the 120z cloth will not be enough to glass all the way up the sides and you will have to buy extra 12oz biax or 6oz woven to fully cover the outsides and the insides to protect the wood from dings and damage.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

For closing endgrains of plywood I've got glass or a cap on all vertical upward facing endgrain. On places where it's not practical to glass I usually prime with neat epoxy then a thick coat of microfibre and silica filled epoxy over that. Then sand, fair and a finish coat. It also helps to keep the sun off.