would a 2.5hp kicker be enough on a FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

would a 2.5hp kicker be enough on a FS17

Post by mineratt »

My FS17 is taking shape and I am moving toward finding the necessary components to complete the project. With the deck installed on the boat I can sit in it and visualize it better now, the transom is fairly narrow and does not leave a lot of room to mount things like the kicker, and the added weight on one side may not be the best. The main motor is a 50 hp Suzuki four stroke. For the kicker I want something very light weight, more of a maneuvering motor and a very slow get home motor (if conditions are flat). When it is rough I could use it to keep the bow into the waves/swell while trying to figure out a tow, or for the current to shift. i was thinking about a new Suzuki 2.5hp four stroke (41 lbs), older Tohatsu 3.5hp two stroke (30 lbs), or something similar. I wanted to stay four stroke to make it all easier to feed, but I could run a small 3 gal dump tank for the pre-mix fuel. The main thing is to keep the kicker as light as possible. Any thoughts?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: would a 2.5hp kicker be enough on a FS17

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have a Yamaha 4 str 2.5hp kicker on my 16' Lund aluminum boat.

Some big downsides to make you aware of

1. The smaller motors cannot get larger props, generally. And a small prop has not bite! So against the wind, I do not have helm as a trolling motor. This sucks. A bigger engine like a 6hp would allow a larger prop woth more bite. Your 17' boat will go fast against a light wind, but not trolling speeds unless you get a bigger prop.

2. My engine sucks. It cost $1000 in 2016. The carb is constantly fouling because the main and jets are too flipping narrow. It is not running atm.

3. A 3 gallon tank weighs like 20 pounds with fuel and I hated the thing because it was never getting turned. When I switched to the 2.5, it has a nice small tank onboard, big enough to get me maybe 10-20 miles.

4. Stick with the same fuel requirements as the boat. That way if one engine dies; the fuel is alread onboard. So 2 stroke main, 2 stroke kicker, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

mineratt
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mineratt »

I completely understand about 2 strokes sticking with 2 strokes, and 4 strokes sticking with four strokes, consistency and continuity. I do not troll with the small motor, I use them only for the redundancy to both maneuver or make way if the main throws a rod or has an issue. I had an old 17 Dusky with a 100 Evinrude 2 stroke and a Suzuki 6hp (the Suzuki was barely adequate but the Dusky was an exceptionally heavy 17ft boat, 1978 with lots of glass).
From what you are saying is 6hp about as low as you would realistically go?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That is my opinion for the FS17 due to her weight fully loaded with motor, gas and crew.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Just something with less than a teeny prop. My 2.5hp prop is too small, can't be modified. All about getting a nice big prop for some bite..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Over the years outboards have left me drifting way too many times so I run a kicker on all outboard powered boats. I run a 5hp Honda on my OD-18. It will move the dory pretty well. I have not used a smaller kicker so I am not sure how well they can push. Any kicker on an FS17 is going to make things tight. First thing to ask is are you boating where a kicker is really needed. If the answer is yes then look for the one that will run the biggest prop and you can live with. If that is a 2.5 hp so be it. Even that beats the crap out of a paddle.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

I had a 3.5 kicker on my GW tournament 19, which is a relatively heavy boat. I just happened to have the motor and the boat just happened to have a bracket. It did get me home once when I thought I had run out of 2-smoke oil, and I did use it for some 2 knot trolling.

Like FG said, it clogged a lot, esp the idle circuit, which was about the diameter of an electric high E string, which is what I would use to clean it.

SO, IMO, a 2.5 would be MUCH better than nothing, but I'd aim higher if possible.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

Matt Gent
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Matt Gent »

The 6hp suzuki (and 4hp) in 15" tiller is only 52lb.

I made a bracket for it to use as a kicker on the DE25. It moves along at 4-5mph by memory, prop-limited.

I also struggle with carb issues if it isn't run often enough.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I sure like my 5hp propane Tohatsu on my little solo skiff. It would make a nice reliable kicker. Ust keep a little propane bottle on board. So no bad fuel and no gummy carbs. Thing'll sit for months and start right up.

Dougster