Yamaha Ignition Switch

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Yamaha Ignition Switch

Post by Dan_Smullen »

It fell off a truck…

Thank you again. I very much appreciate the hard data on the spec page.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

bamaguy0 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:24 pm I used a Sierra MP41090-1 switch for my boat.
Does that assembly have kill switch incoprorated?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

My boat wiring got super complicated because I used Yamaha 10 pin, then cut into it for the Glendinning controls, then continued it up to the ign switch. Up at the switch, some 30 feet away, there was a little 6 pin connector that was interestingly unused..

Launch day comes, and I had checked t/t, but gambled on the crank.

Well, we had no crank and 50 people waiting for the kittens to purr. For the life of me, could not get a signal on the brown wire. So, we traced the brown wire and it was not getting crank signal, but the key signal was hitting my 10 pin brown? Y not at the engine? 3 hours of debugging every damn thing, I got the brainiac idea to go and see what was happening on the 6 pin. The 6 pin connector was supposed to go on the Yamaha binnacle, and there were two brown wires on it. Light bulb moment, I ask help to run the key and we reaized the Yammy binnacle had a crank lockout so if the handles are forward, no crank. So 4 hours after launch, we jumpered those two wires on both 6 pins and had crank. Then we had to get gas into the lines and some jackass told me I did not need primer bulbs. Turns out you need them anytime you have a dry f/w separator, so that added another full hour. Talk about stressful.

Anyhow, I've had my share of fun, so had some idea you needed to convert, but not the detail like bamaguy0.

His post was a gem here.

Did I miss which wires are not on the 7 pin? Is it trim up and trim down? I think it is Y,DK G, W, but only a guess. So, what is lost? (Tach, Kill, Ign Power?)

Or do you have it all figured out?

Fun thread.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:02 am Well, we had no crank and 50 people waiting for the kittens to purr.
Not stressful at all. For such a smart guy, you'd think you would have done a super-secret "soft" opening before inviting the neighborhood to watch. :lol:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

VT_Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:58 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:02 am Well, we had no crank and 50 people waiting for the kittens to purr.
Not stressful at all. For such a smart guy, you'd think you would have done a super-secret "soft" opening before inviting the neighborhood to watch. :lol:
All the friggin wiring I did and I missed by one jumper!

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:56 am
All the friggin wiring I did and I missed by one jumper!
As I read through your dilemma, I thought you were gonna say that after 4 hours of troubleshooting no crank, you found that the throttles were not in neutral!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Too cock sure. I remember so vividly thinking well it tilts, so probably got the rest right.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

We’ve all been there. We’ll probably all do it again.

On the primer bulb front, I had an old car guy tell me any boat that doesn’t have a pump in the tank need a bulb at the key. Haven’t found a boat that proves him wrong yet.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Since I am wiring my build now, I go back and check everything every time I connect something up. I am trying to use a on/off/on switch for my nav lights/anchor light and just had to put a diode in the circuit. Worked every time I tested it. Yesterday, I tested everything at in the dark so I could see the gauge lights, switch lights and so on. Everything worked the way it should. This morning the nav/anchor lights didn't work. Very frustrating to say the least.

I still have to connect the aftermarket tach up and I hope the tach wire coming down the harness works with this gauge because it is also my hour meter. Troubleshooting automotive engine controls was easier than all this making wiring harnesses, heat shrinking all connectors and making sure I am using the right size ring connectors. On my back and trying to tilt my head back enough to use my reader lens on my bifocals. My shoulders seem to be wider than the room I have and arms and hands do not bend enough. The fun!!

Just glad my motor came with the controls and is just plug and play.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

bamaguy0
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bamaguy0 »

Dan_Smullen wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:46 am
bamaguy0 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:24 pm I used a Sierra MP41090-1 switch for my boat.
Does that assembly have kill switch incoprorated?
No it’s just a key switch. My kill switch is on the throttle assembly.