GT23

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
drbobopp@gmail.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: GT23

Post by drbobopp@gmail.com »

Thanks, everybody....

Hmmm... So the business of floating bow down (I am using the standard planing plans)....Is this a major problem? Enough to change to another build? Would it help to move weight aft?

Another question, also re: transom:
I've never before used vacuum bagging techniques on a build, but on this one I'll be attempting vacuum bagging techniques for the superstructure---foam with fiberglass cloth vacuum-bagged it. But for the transom, seems I could get by with the weight of the several sheets of plywood (with some heavy objects laid on top) sufficient to make a good lamination....Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Plywood transom is a tried and true method,it is what I would do.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

You can use vacuum for an incredibly quality laminated transom.

Dryfit the panels and use pins to find their spots.

Then, precoat each panel bonding surface,

Mix fumed silica and epoxy a little over 2:1 by volume.

Vee trowel 1/16" each side, make sure the silica does not sag when applied, and use 9-10" of mercury pressure.

The bond will be one millimeter, perfect,
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

drbobopp@gmail.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks..
So is this 'forward sitting' a show-stopper? Does this trait impede planing? And could this trait not be modified by moving weight (eg, fuel tanks) aft?

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm sure it's no show stopper, but does need some thought. I assume you are building the standard plan referred to in the options section of the study plans, not the houseboat version. Clearly the the standard plan needs a very light cabin set back a bit. I guess a big motor hanging off a set back bracket helps too. Lets hear what some experienced folks thoughts.

Dougster

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

Dougster wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:26 am Probably you know this but I recall there are two slightly different plans for the GT23. One is the standard planing hull and the other is the houseboat hull with I think a bit more volume forward. As I recall some folks had issues with the standard hull not floating on her lines (was bow down).

Dougster
There were two different versions. There is now only one, a combination of both I believe but leaning more towards the displacement hull. The original designer was (not to disparage) not getting how to fix it so our favorite designer stepped in and performed the redesign. There is NOT a nose-down GT-23 design available anymore from Boat Builder Central.

:roll: I think I have the last remaining slack "build" happening from the old plans. :oops:

I have been thinking of how to utilize the hull and am still planning on using it for a deck boat but am linking up with a group that does hurricane rescues. I think it can be used for that purpose with twin 60HP motors for tight turns and redundant power. I would use an Armstrong type of bracket/swim platform. The bow can still fold down for a landing craft of a 4 wheeler and trailer with supplies for island hopping. I still like the idea of a large Bimini with button or Velcro for sleeping quarters to be self sufficient for rescues or island hopping.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig »

drbobopp@gmail.com wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:58 am Thanks, everybody....

Hmmm... So the business of floating bow down (I am using the standard planing plans)....Is this a major problem? Enough to change to another build? Would it help to move weight aft?

Another question, also re: transom:
I've never before used vacuum bagging techniques on a build, but on this one I'll be attempting vacuum bagging techniques for the superstructure---foam with fiberglass cloth vacuum-bagged it. But for the transom, seems I could get by with the weight of the several sheets of plywood (with some heavy objects laid on top) sufficient to make a good lamination....Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
See my above post that states you should be good and there is really not a nose-down set of plans now. I sent you a PM with my phone number if you have any questions. :D

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Good to hear about the current revised plan. I'll admit to having a secret crush on the GT23, but at age 73 and three boats I don't use enough, there goes madness!

Dougster

drbobopp@gmail.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thanks, y'all, so very much..
I'm still learning to use the forum...sorry for my delayed reply...I just found your replies to my queries!
My GT-23 plans are for the 'standard hull'..... I was not aware that there was now only one type GT-23 plan.

I would like to leave some pictures of my build. How do we attach pictures to these posts?
bob

drbobopp@gmail.com
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The "fumed silica" mentioned......Is that the same as the 'cabosil/silica' offered here by boatbuildercentral?