MM21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: MM21

Post by blueflood »

For Penny, I installed a permanent 7 gal FW tank below the sole and between the cabin seats. Real luxury to have "running water" with a hand pump and a small sink ! (plus the 5 gal grey water holding tank under the sink area).

Marc

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Awesome thanks for the on-site Marc. Did you do just an off the shelf water tank, or somthing custom? Also your 5 gas great water is that go into a jug under the sink or is it an installed tank? The old brain bucket wheels are turning away now. I believe I saw the MM21 plans called for a 12 (don’t quote me) gal tank which would be awesome.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

The plastic molded grey water tank is off the shelf and installed on the sole under the sink area. It is vented to the outside to clear out fumes and I installed a twist port on the top for access to clean. It is semi-permanent but can be disconnected and removed if required. There was not enough space to install a bigger tank. In my area you can discharge directly overboard but I opted for the tank. The FW is only for basic washing / dishes / coffee and it also adds weight low in the boat.

The GW tank was installed with the intent to pump out at marinas when full. Because of the 4 month winter arctic cold we get, all the tanks are emptied / flushed / cleaned and a small amount of anti freeze is pumped to protect the hand pump from damage in case there is still water (porta head removed and emptied) before winter layup.

Keep it simple Jmk2000. I dialed down my "wants" during the build and just make sure you can access everything. As long as there was a small sink, pump, water supply, portable head, small propane stove, all is good. Save the cash for electronics if anything.

The biggest regret was installing that permanent 12 gal gas tank, less than ideal battery location, hatch on roof and a few other bugs.

Best decision; removable vinyl side windows, removable Lexan front windows, installing a 9.9 HP, installing a folding sun shade bimini top (even it destroys the looks when deployed), installing all the hand holds and the biggest - using Monstaliner everywhere but on the hull (never minding the cost).

Marc

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Hi Marc,

Great idea on the grey water tank. Do you have pictures you’d be willing to share? I’m a visual learner. I love the idea though. We can’t discharge anything into the water here unless more than 3 miles from shore so I’ll definitely need a grey water tank. I really appreciate the advice and information! Out of curiosity why do you regret doing an installed fuel tank?

Josh

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Josh,

For the hassle of planning and doing:
Routing the hoses, making seat in the hull, running all wires, having mandatory access to the tank fittings, cost (tank 500, gauge 30, hoses 100, clamps 25, gas fume detector 75, vent fittings 50),

Safety (reading up on ABYC rules, asking fellow builders about what is required, proper venting of tank and compartment, fueling, (required by insurance = gas fume detector and propane detector for stove since we sleep in the berth).

I could have better used that compartment for stowage / ballast. Portables are just as useful for the cruising we do, less risk in the equation. I will have to use since its there now. Maybe I will like it more.

You can see the under sink area and where the tank goes behind the seat. I will try and take photos I cannot find a closeup. There are 2 removable shelves to give more hand room but that space is only 12" wide and not very high - a pain to do any work. It is deep as well so I had to cut out vent holes under the seat to air them out. If you plan a small galley, think more than 12" wide and plan what tubing, electrical or whatever passes inside that space :D. No fun to do any work in there - Actually, that is another "regret" - more planning was needed. The gas tank plumbing passed thru that space. Near impossible to tighten fittings under the gunnel

From the side view you can see the tank vent next to the fender.

http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... 017-31.jpg
http://gallery.bateau2.com/albums/userp ... -_Copy.jpg
https://www.community.boatbuildercentra ... G_4810.jpg

Marc

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Marc,

Thanks for the insight. You have really given me many things to think about how I want to do things. My main thought on an installed tank was tank size for extended cruising but wasn’t aware of all the requirements. Will definitely have to look into all the things you mentioned further before getting into the build to far. Luckily I’m a year or more out from starting so I’ve got some reading to do. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Josh

Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Doug N »

A bit late but I would second the use of a small hi thrust outboard. I usually run my hmd19 (9.9 yamaha) at around 5 mph at approx 3000 rpm and it is quite quiet at that rpm. Hardly uses any fuel. Perhaps 1/4 to 1/3 gal/hour at that speed. I don't pay too much attention to it as I'm usually only motoring for a few hours at a time. I have a 12 gal built in aluminum tank and it is totally unnecessary in my case. Portable tanks would have been much better and I could have used the area for storage. My use of my boat has only been on lakes so your use could prove otherwise. The MM21 looks like a great boat and would be a fun project.
Doug

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Hey Doug, it’s all good. I’ve the plans say up to a 10 hp so I’ve set my sites on a high thrust 25” 9.9, probably a Suzuki since their price with controls is a little over 3k. A similar Yamaha is about 4K. Good info to know too. I think I’ll have to give it some good thought about portable tanks vs fixed and storage. Long trips are planned for the boat so storage might be a big decision factor.

Josh

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Think about the portable tanks do not have all the plumbing issues, wiring, venting and if you have to travel a little way to resupply fuel just carry the tanks with you. No waiting in line at the marina to access the pumps or pay a steeper price for the fuel.

My 25HP Suzuki came with the controls, the draglink for steering hookup, the cable ends for both the motor and controller, the harness from motor to control. Most part it was plug and play. I also bought a service manual, so I have reference to do my own servicing and troubleshoot if needed. It came in handy to connect up my aftermarket tachometer/hour meter.

Freshwater and gray water tanks can be built into the hull and make max use of space. Think RV campers with automatic pump for fresh water supply. Just like in a house, open the faucet, you have water via pressure switch built into the pump. Install a small bilge pump in the gray water to pump it out and you can keep the water ballast low in the hull. PVC plumbing for the discharge and a fitting that matches the thread of a garden hose. Pump the gray water wherever a hose can reach and it's legal.

Freshwater automatic pump:
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Water-Pump/ ... 0%20-%2060
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Suzuki has a rebate on some outboards right now. This company is where I got my 25HP and it worked out great for me. Also where I picked up my 20 hour service kit, service manual, control cables and a gallon of motor oil.
https://onlineoutboards.com/collections ... wer_-9-9hp
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne