MM21

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: MM21

Post by Cowbro »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:51 am Suzuki has a rebate on some outboards right now. This company is where I got my 25HP and it worked out great for me. Also where I picked up my 20 hour service kit, service manual, control cables and a gallon of motor oil.
https://onlineoutboards.com/collections ... wer_-9-9hp
That is where i bought my 9.9 and all maintenance parts from. Highly recommend.

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Awesome to know guys, that’s where I was looking at them. Hadn’t heard of them and wondering if it was to good to be true or if they were reputable . Appreciate the feedback!

Josh

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Jmk2000 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:18 pm Awesome to know guys, that’s where I was looking at them. Hadn’t heard of them and wondering if it was to good to be true or if they were reputable . Appreciate the feedback!

Josh
Very great company. A number of the builders have bought the smaller outboards from them with no issues. One builder even had a damaged motor by the freight company and was replaced with no hassle.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Bought my Tohatsu 5 hp propane outboard from them. Timely shipped and no problems.

Dougster

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Thanks Doug for yet another good review!

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Mercury 4S 9.9 Pro Kicker XL bought new in 2013 for $3.5k
Controller and cables another 500$

I picked Mercury because most marinas in my cruising area services Merc, they seem popular here. The pro kicker this year looks awful tho.

For extended cruising we intend to do, I am looking for options to carry a 2-3 hp back-up motor in case the main quits. You may want to think about that. Looking at propane, electric or gas. Even a heavy duty trolling motor. Also kind of looking at solar panels in the next few years.

Come spring, a few re-do's on the boat.
Need a small removable lunch / picnic table for the cockpit and install a removable middle seat platform between the captain and copilot seats.

Not sure how others builders work but personally, figuring out space dimensions and drawing sketches was a real frustration, material and time saver instead of building on the fly and not being totally happy with the outcome and redoing things.

Seems you are designing in your head already with our feedback. Good luck👍🏻Josh.
Dont over-think things and (try !) keep to budget.

Marc

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Marc, good advice and that’s exactly what I’m doing and why I’m not starting the build right away. I’m looking for more input too. I’m thinking about changing the dinette layout. Instead of the front to back I was thinking of making it a long couch along the wall that can pull out to make another bunk and have a fold down table. Has anyone done anything like this? Just thinking it would make for a better layout and open up the cabin a bit. Also would make a comfortable spot for the admiral to lounge while transiting. Thoughts?

Josh

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Josh,
I will look at the study plan first.
Consider where you need run all your hose and wire chases (ABS pipe of different diameters) and where bends and elbows are .,if you need access of any kind or if you are installing deck hatches then plan layout . i.e know where everything under and above the sole is for reference Living spaces secondary but rough sketch your cabinets, seats and critical bulkhead/partitions dimensions and distance fron CL etc. Work on details later.

Just have a good pros and cons for fitting a permanent gas tank and what it entails ! This is the first time I will use the gas tank, I still hesitate. The install was to ABYC and surveyor gave it a thumbs up. Still, I need to reinstall the gas/water separator (another $ 50 on the list) and fill it up.
Hoping for no leaks, I will not be happy.
A huge dangerous hassle to empty as well.

It is there forever, need to rip out deck to get it out with the fill hose in another deck section if it is ever required. Leave a good 3" all around the tank, mine is too tight. FYI my gas tank access is via a removable step - in the cabin. I was limited in where I could put those fittings, I never really liked it there. (installed a gas fume detector nearby).

Go thru my build, you will see my plans somewhere as an example. Man, it will be a blast to design the arrangements of yours.

If better you can email me for help or call.
Let me know👍🏻

Marc
Last edited by blueflood on Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jmk2000
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jmk2000 »

Marc,

Did you draw on your plans or did you trace them and then draw on the duplicate? Good idea too BTW.

blueflood

Post by blueflood »

Hi Josh,
I will look at the study plan first.
Consider where you need run all your hose and wire chases (ABS pipe of different diameters) and where bends and elbows are .,if you need access of any kind or if you are installing deck hatches then plan layout . i.e know where everything under and above the sole is. Living spaces secondary but rough sketch your cabinets, seats etc.

Go thru my build, you will see my plans somewhere as an example. Man, it will be a blast to design the arrangements of yours.

If better you can email me for help or call.
Let me know👍🏻

Marc