Wahoo

Share tips, suggest or request changes, anything that does not fit in the other categories.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Wahoo

Post by fallguy1000 »

Does anyone know what hits a 15" Yo Ho Ho?

The pitting zamac makes it look like fish scales and adds a prismatic look.

I seriously want to talk big pelagagics, tunas, wahoo, big stuff
2A2B851D-36A8-40F7-BEA6-9C5D28725076.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Wahoo

Post by Jaysen »

I run tech for a team in the local wahoo tourney and I’m a sponsor of that tournament. I’m still Lear ing but I have access to a pile of folks that have a crap ton of time on the water. What do you want to know?

We spent a few hours tonight assembling high speed rigs. 11/0 hook, 3/16 cable, 1/8 cable, 10” skirts, jetted head, rubber stop, crimps, heat shrinks. Assembled length from loop to hook is 36” with the last 12” being the lure/hook.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Basically these bad boys but from a couple of different sources.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Link bombed.

I want to learn about big fish. I have at least one 80 pound setup.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here is an article on catching Wahoo around the drilling platforms Dan. https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/tech ... -line-hoo/ They do not mention line weight though. Best of luck when you get down there. :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here is an article on catching Wahoo around the drilling platforms Dan. https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/tech ... -line-hoo/ They do not mention line weight though. Best of luck when you get down there. :D Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:36 pm Link bombed.

I want to learn about big fish. I have at least one 80 pound setup.
Bah! Try it now. If you have specific questions let me know. My team is likely to be in money this year. Was 5th last year. While they primarily high speed the local captains do just about anything to land fish. Two of the team members are deck hands on big sportfish that do blues and sails exclusively (privates). They never shut up about it. All they need is a question.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I don't really kill for sport, so much will depend on whether they are edible. My wife and I eat tuna, but I won't say it is my favorite, although raw yellowtail is pretty high on my list.

But if I like eating a fish, I will pursue them, so some depends on what is good to eat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Wahoo and black fin are delicious. Bleed immediately. Flush the black fin. DO NOT OVER COOK. If I’m cooking them, just seared on the outside and let them cook via resting. I have some wahoo on salt now.

Wahoo belly is hard to enjoy. My best effort so far is salted (salt and sugar cured) in a pan stew over starch. The belly reminds you it’s a big mackerel.

Mahi are easier to catch and a lot simpler to cook. The tackle is easier in the pocket book too. But if you want the best eats AND the best cost, it’s in the ground fish. Grouper and snapper. Snowy grouper and vermilion snapper. Cut bait on a hook. Big schools. Find them, load the box. Not gas spent trolling. Rarely lose tackle. 4/0 circle hooks and 8oz weights (2oz, 4oz, 6oz, 8oz) is all you need.
Last edited by Jaysen on Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified weight

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I luv bottom fishin and have taken vermilion snapper and tabled them.

Lotsa reef areas to fish within 40 miles of shore in Texas..

Platforms are even closer.