MI 12

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: MI 12

Post by gonandkarl »

Hi,
Nice paint job. Is it an optical illusion or is the bottom panel of the boat all of a sudden 1 inch thick ?
Greetings from Karl
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Now that is some flat out fine looking work!

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

The bottom looking thicker is an illusion. I wrapped the graphite over the bottom edge one inch so that is where the illusion is coming from. The outside paint is done and the interior paint is next. This boat may be going to the Mystic Seaport wooden boat festival in June along with the solo whitewater dory. If you plan to attend, please find me and say hello.
Attachments
07F334F6-2844-4453-A2DF-08E12CF3ADF6.jpeg

cape man

Post by cape man »

Absolutely gorgeous!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Just what the Cape Man said, gorgeous. Makes me want to visit Mystic in June.

Dougster

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

PapaDave, what a beautiful MI 12 build! :D

A question if I may. Do each of the three planks each side get wider from midships to the bow/stern?

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to build a five-plank-a-side glued lapstrake MI 12.

To look good she would need each plank to widen from midships forward and aft.

Should this be the case, I would start with Jacques' plans for the rounded version of MI 12, and fine tune the lapstrake lines from there.

She'd be the same constuction as my recently completed Feather Pram.

Again, congratulations on your beautiful MI 12 build. :D
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Hello Glossieblack,
The bottom blank narrows slightly and the middle and upper planks get wider at the ends. A five plank would look really nice. John Gardner has all the building specifications that may help you in his book on small watercraft that includes the MI12 original. Please keep me posted on your progress. Good luck!
Dave

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

First coat on the interior. Looking forward to seeing how she handles. I ordered a set of long oarlocks from Sawyer oars to help adjust the oar height. Will be running 9.5 feet oars.
Attachments
935986C0-1C88-46F4-B7EF-D4904D28A54D.jpeg
3DFFA86E-A3FB-417D-B216-4CC047555BA1.jpeg

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack »

Thanks PapaDave for the quick response to my query.
As a result I've tonight purchased a digital set of Jacques Mertens' BBC plans foerthe rounded hull version of MI 12.
I'm now reasonably confident I can build a light weight, epoxy glued, 5 plank a side lapstrake version.
Time will tell.
Currently building Jacques Mertens ST21 "Skinnydip". Boating adventures: Splash testing and using 'Skinnydip, as a basis of further building refinement; Adams 44’ sailing sloop "Great Sandy" (cruising and maintaining); Iain Oughtred Feather Pram "Mini Dip" (building); Jacques Mertens R13 "Wood Duck" (built and due for maintenance).

PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by PapaDave »

Second of three coats applied to the interior. Seat tops and floor will be covered in white, nonslip paint.
Attachments
35C0D3E8-223B-4AFD-861F-CD4DE16056F3.jpeg