FS14 -The Ana Marie

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14 -The Ana Marie

Post by Fuzz »

I bet they think you are the best boss ever. It is great you have help that can be trusted like you are doing.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

This week, I took it to the lake because there was a gap in all the rain we have been having and a forecast of mostly sunny day! There was a forecast of the wind picking up to 16-18 knots later in the afternoon. When I was kayak fishing in the bays, I learned to add 5 to 10 knots to the wind forecast, seems I need to do the same for the lake too. Leaving the dock I had a following sea, which was noticeable in the no wake zone near the dock. The brisk wind at my back pushed the boat a little faster at idle and the back of the boat was already being lifted from the following sea. I throttled up to a nice planning speed of 15-17 mph and wasn't long I could feel going over the crest of a wave, slowly, then coming back down with spray off the bow. At that speed I wasn't going to much faster than the waves. If the waves were much bigger and little more apart, I could bury the bow in the back of a wave. I came down off plane and then just idled in neutral. No waves came over the transom but it was getting lifted quickly and then back down. Could really feel the wind at this point and the waves seemed to be about 1.5 to 2 foot. That is by how the depth gauge was changing it's depth on a flat bottom.

At this point, seas seem to be the roughest I have had the boat in so far, and decided before going further from the launch, I would see how the boat handled going into those seas. As the boat picked up speed, every wave caused spray to come across the bow and I quickly got soaked before I could even get the bow up. I got to a slow planning speed but that was a pounding from one wave to the next with a lot of spray as the hull crashed against the next wave. I slowed down and drifted as I filled the tanks with ballast. Once full of 20 gallons, I took off again with more success on heading into the waves. The wind still blew the spray from time to time but most of it was missing me. Because of the brisk wind, I felt like I was moving really fast but was barley doing 7-10 mph. I was trying to keep it at a speed that made good head way, keeping the bow high enough to keep the spray further back, but didn't bounce from wave peak to peak. Easily made it back to the launch. I went out again and then just tried different angles to the waves to see how the boat would handle. I tested different directions of travel, different speeds and even went to a boat ramp/dock that I had to approach with a following sea. Glad this was not my ramp!

Some may think I was being a fool for taking a little boat out in heavy seas but I prefer knowing the limits of the Ana Marie before I am in a situation where I don't have the chance to experiment how to handle such conditions. And helps me decide to stay home and off the water. I also noticed that the few hours I was out, I used more fuel than on calmer days and longer time on the water. A very educational trip.

Once back at the ramp, loading the boat was uneventful. I did notice that there was enough spray coming into the boat that the bilge collected a fair amount of water. I don't know if either pump kicked in but the level was close that I would not be surprised if they were in use during the time on the water. Normally I get a small stream that quickly becomes a drip when removing the drain plug, but it was a big stream this time.

Once back at the warehouse I took everything out, removed everything in the lockers and washed the sole and rinsed out the lockers. None of the hatches are "waterproof" so all gear got a little damp from the spray of the trip. Mostly just lines, fenders and safety gear that can get wet anyway, but like to air everything out after most trips.

And she is already for her next adventure. What a fun little boat.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Nice report OQ. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Could not pass up such a pretty day so off to the lake we went. My "crew" was with me again and what a perfect day to go out on the lake...just for fun!. One of them likes to drive while the other looks for clear paths to safely go through while keeping an eye on the depth of water on the GPS.

Yesterday was hot and sunny with the surface temps reaching 90 deg on the lake. "The crew" drove us to the opposite side of the lake. Because a lot of water is still coming down the San Jacinto River, the one behind the wheel would weave and zig zag through the large line of debris that was all over some areas. Her navigator helped point out clear paths while the driver shown how nimble the Ana Marie was. Most would slow down but our driver increased speed so the Ana Marie could dance through it all. I set in the back hanging on for dear life waiting to hear something hit the hull or the propeller, neither ever happened.

But the driver gets nervous pulling into the restaurant slips and others watching. So, I had to take over. It was the other's turn when exited the slip and she has throttle control issues and it wasn't pretty with a lot of over gunning to just backing out of the slip. Neither know how to go straight from point A to point B so a lot of turns when going across the lake. The GPS has a lot of lines across the screen as to where we have been, I think they are trying to fill ever empty space, the lake is 18 square miles. Overall we had a lot of fun to just take the boat out and play, enjoy the sun and nice weather. We drifted a few times to enjoy the sun, have a toast of being on the water and being away from the city life. Great day overall even though the water was to muddy to want to swim in.

We also need to practice backing the trailer back down the ramp on a busy day. I was proud she did not give up easily but did so when a guy came over and offered to help. The line of other trailers building up behind her was getting longer. The slips were all blocked with debris so I had to keep the boat off the dock while this was happening. They both can back the trailer up with no issues, but they don't like crowds and chock even though they are good at what they do.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Going to have to just use your imagination on this one and I am not much good at telling stories.

Two teenage girls, both 18, one behind the wheel of the Ana Marie and one behind the skiff being towed with a 15 foot bowline in a sit on top kayak. We had been assisting a TV crew do some filming on the bayou for a show that will air later this year. To move the host of the show faster up the bayou, we towed him behind us and the young lady in the kayak was the pilot to tow the host. But that left the throttle happy teen towing her this time. We were doing about 8mph when the kayak tried to climb the wake but the wave flipped her. We got her back in the boat before we started to laugh... it was fun. The teens asked me not to post any pic
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Got the prop from the prop shop, installed and ready for a new adventure. This time it is with our two young male teenagers. Neither had ever been on a boat. Houston is known as the bayou city and these guys never been on a boat. As soon as we all got in the boat, asked if one of them would like to drive. Unlike letting a teenage drive a car the first time, this was so much less stressful. And downright fun! It being a bright sunny calm weekend day on the lake, lots of boaters were also on the water. Only had to say it once to not change heading without looking around the boat and to just keep an eye out for what OTHER boaters are doing. The Ana Marie is not a fast boat but is a eye catcher when on the water. Other boats sometimes like to do a fly by to get a better look, but the guys helped each other keep us safe, so I enjoyed the more comfortable ride at the stern and had a cold beverage in hand.

One thing these young men did like to do is swim. I noticed a bulk along a stretch of the bank with no houses or building on any kind but a half dozen boats or so anchored 50 yards or so off it. As we got closer, everyone was in the water and even smaller kids were standing near their boats. So we joined in. Had a little play time to cool off and after an hour or so, we made a showing at the Lake Brewery for a quick bite and I tried a few of the designer beers. We then went back to the "sandbar" party.

The Ana Marie was built to be a small, shallow water utility boat with a little fun on the side. So far, she has adjusted to her new roles beautifully and better than any expectations. I never expected training young people how to handle a boat and enjoy the water one be one of those roles. I don't know if it is me or her that enjoys it more.
Each new driver, she seems to adjust how she handles with them at the helm. Ana Marie is a very good teacher, I wish I had her skills.
A. A. Milne

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:02 am Each new driver, she seems to adjust how she handles with them at the helm. Ana Marie is a very good teacher, I wish I had her skills.
Really happy to hear that such a pretty boat is getting used as intended...

Photos?

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OQ sounds like you and Ana Marie are training a new generation of young ones to handle a boat. Good for you. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

mhd wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:46 pm
OrangeQuest wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:02 am Each new driver, she seems to adjust how she handles with them at the helm. Ana Marie is a very good teacher, I wish I had her skills.
Really happy to hear that such a pretty boat is getting used as intended...

Photos?

Mick
The teenagers do not like old people to take their picture, so I don't. I have a few of them driving but they will not turn around so, just pics of their backs. I respect them for that. Which they post pictures like crazy on the own accounts.
TomW1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:57 pm OQ sounds like you and Ana Marie are training a new generation of young ones to handle a boat. Good for you. Tom
I told them all if they want to take the boater safety class I would pay for it.

LOL, My part is "head north, zero degrees, look around often and look for what is going on around you in the 18 square mile lake" Ana Marie does the rest. The guys do seem to do better at pulling and exiting a slip, but the girls are more caution with the boat in the slips. The rub rails feel it when the boys are at helm but they also remember to deploy the fenders. I will also add, it has been a lot rougher too for the girls with higher winds and rougher seas. Which the girls would sometimes panic and let the wind control the boat where the guys, drive it in there. LOL End of the trip and cleaning, the girls inspect any damage they may have caused; I have to reassure them it's not that big of a deal. The guys don't have a clue. So we just clean, even though the guys did more nicks in the rub rail.

Keep in mind that the girls played a big part in sea trails and breaking the motor in and the girls can get the Ana Marie to turn faster at higher speeds than the guys. The girls like to chase the seagulls, even when they do a 180. With the girls, hard high speed turns, no slip, the guys, Ana Marie gives them a little bunny hop to warn them. "You not ready yet." I know, you had to be there to believe.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

The Ana Marie was fresh out of the shop, so she went to the beauty salon for a little shine up and checked all her fluids. As was expected, she is ready for her next adventure.
About this next adventure:
There will be a few young drivers behind the helm, the lighter ones to shuttle groups of 4 across the lake. 1 driver and 3 passengers. Will take 2 or 3 trips and the young ones will love it. Ana Marie came to be because of Houston flooding and blocking people from getting to safety. We will call this weekend practice for that and keeping young people safe for a day. I am excited and nervous at the same time.

Our first trip will be towing a big 15.5-foot canoe across the lake to start a base location. Anchor up the canoe, drop me and my cooler off and a few of the passengers as The Ana Marie heads back for the rest and a helmsman (my lightest female 90LBs). And keep doing that till she brings the rest across. Keep these young people in mind that they have a fun and SAFE last time with the Ana Marie.
A. A. Milne