FS14 -The Ana Marie

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: FS14 -The Ana Marie

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:06 pm Fuzz I thought you were from Texas? That's clear water there!
Born in Texas and spent two whole years there, at least that is what I am told. But the part of Texas my grand parents lived in did not have surface water :help:

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:55 pm
TomW1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:47 pm OQ you are correct the new Aluminum props are cast differently from those in the past and with different alloys and are closer to an SS prop than ever before but still not the equivalent. Not just for you but anyone who is interested here is how Mercury Racing calculates slip. https://www.mercuryracing.com/propeller ... lator.html Again 1" of pitch is about 200rpms and 1" in diameter equates to about 2.5" in pitch.

Glad to hear your season is starting up. Money, money, money. :D :D :D

Tom
That is good news on the 1" diameter difference will drop 2.5" pitch. That puts the 4 bladed prop right where I need it to be. My OEM is 11.1/4" and the 4 blade is 10.2". h
I see where you got to 5800rpms with your current prop. Were you able to maintain that. If so the 4-blade may work. If not, you will need to reduce the pitch of the blades at your local prop shop. Let me know and I will help you.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

I see where you got to 5800rpms with your current prop. Were you able to maintain that. If so the 4-blade may work. If not, you will need to reduce the pitch of the blades at your local prop shop. Let me know and I will help you.

Tom
I think I can maintain that rpm but I don't want to till I need to and after the first oil change is complete. But the OEM prop does a nice job.

Well, we had the start of our season kick off Saturday. Then time changed, so my employees coming in to get gear swapped around slept in...they deserved it. Young ladies that work harder than a lot of the young men I have had. But I also was exhausted mentally and physically. When the showed up at noon, and clocked in, we decided that a good way to recover was a few hours on the lake.

After clearing the dock, they took to the front seats and I relaxed in the back. It was the same as if I filled the tanks up. Just as I was thinking the Ana Marie was my new girlfriend, also likes girls! 8O The girls didn't know where to go, even after me repeatedly shouting, "just go north!!" Wind was brisk so when the boat slapped on a waves to girls would giggle, pretty sure I head the boat giggle a few times too, pull back on the throttle and gun it again. They chased the seagulls, checked out all the buoys in the water and anything else they seen. At times one of them wanted to see how fast the boat could turn and was doing circles and high speed figure eights. Me being in the very back, it was a wet day. Making me think reverse chines to lift the stern a little and reduce the spray.

We all had fun and even though these girls work hard, it's nice to know they play hard too. We were only out for about 3 hours and still needed to get back to the warehouse and do work but it was another great adventure for the Ana Marie.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OrangeQuest wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:20 pm

Tom
"I think I can maintain that rpm but I don't want to till I need to and after the first oil change is complete. But the OEM prop does a nice job."

Okay OQ until you do get the oil change done and can tell that the 5800rpms is your top speed at full throttle, do not buy any props. 5800 is close enough to top rpms not to worry about changing props. If it works out and you want to get the 4-blade for all the reasons that make a 4-blade superior. Keep the factory prop as your spare. And I will check again on what the 4-blade should be before you buy it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

We all had fun and even though these girls work hard, it's nice to know they play hard too. We were only out for about 3 hours and still needed to get back to the warehouse and do work but it was another great adventure for the Ana Marie.
That gave me a smile! Sounds like those girls have a good boss. :)
Hank

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

pee wee wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:36 am
That gave me a smile! Sounds like those girls have a good boss. :)
Thanks Pee Wee! I just trained them when they first started working with me. What I love about the group of employees, all female teenagers, they don't have to be repeatedly told what to do. We show up at a new venue and they jump out of our tow vehicle and go to work. I help them with the heavy lifting of getting the boats on and off the trailer but my heart just isn't strong enough to move the boats from point A to B and back.
Over the last 13 years or so, I have worked with a lot of teenagers mostly young men, that these employees would put a lot of them to shame. I treat them as if they were my own granddaughters, which some may think I favor them, but they put in the labor and that is unbiased opinion. After spring break week, they all get their anniversary raises.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

That is a great story OQ. It can be tough finding anyone who is willing to work hard much less young ones. Gives me hope for the younger generation. :D

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Good on you.

Dougster

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That is a great story OQ, I worked at a rafting company here in tne mountains and I agree with you the girls would out work the guys 2-1. We liked to hire from the local college as they were bigger and stronger and always needed the money for boyfriends. :lol:

Tom

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Great story OQ!!! Jeff