FS14 -The Ana Marie

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS14 -The Ana Marie

Post by OrangeQuest »

I would like to say thank you for Tom W, Bklake's, and others, input on prop selection and comments on the subject. TomW's input on prop selection is always welcome advice.

There are other factors besides weight to consider when propping a motor. Is the weight in the right areas on the boat. Like my little boat, my COG is like 50/50 and most planning boats are designed to have the COG 40/60 or so. When I get in the boat solo it become closer to 60/40 with the offset of weight being towards the bow instead of the stern making for very high prop slippage I would guess. To make my boat more stable I add ballast to the stern. But this set up also causes more prop slip from the weight.

Tom W, from what I have been reading, the modern aluminum props made, are a stronger pressed cast aluminum, so the blades can be thinner and come closer to that of stainless blades as far as thickness. I would think that would decrease the slip ratio. But I also think the pitch changing down the length of the blades would also add a little more strength, due to the slight arch of the blade. But I also think that pitch change will cause a pressure difference that is lower closer to the hub and increases towards the tips causing the props to bite a little better. All theories on my part.

My "plump" little boat has been doing a fantastic job with the factory prop and my gas milage proves that. And that milage seems to improve as the motor breaks in. Because I have been doing a lot of testing as to what the boat can do, I have been doing a lot of stop and starting from dead still and not holding any rpm steady for to long. But 5 hours on the water and I have yet to use more than 3.0 gallons of fuel. But I have also been going out in choppy conditions that are caused by boat traffic and gusty winds.

Todays adventure will still be on our 18 square mile lake and milder winds. So hoping for smooth water conditions and if two of my employees come along, I may let them do a fly by as I record a video from the dock. next week I may order the two props I want to test but it the start of spring break here in Houston and the start of our busy season. Limiting my adventures to weekdays only for awhile.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Forecast was for a mild day on the lake. Launched the boat and headed past the no wake zone, into open water, all looked very calm. Boat easily got up to speed, less than mile north waves are starting to form. While it was still calm, I got to 5800 rpms and just under 29 mph at WOT. But the wind was picking up, sun was dance in and out of the heavy clouds. Continued north another mile or so going with the wind, nice ride still at 4800rpms and just at 21 mph. If conditions were building, I didn't want to get to far from the boat ramp I started from, so a slow turn back south, a gust almost blow my hat off.

I brough a light lunch so came off plane then stopped and drifted as I ate and drank a cold beer, built in cooler works nicely. After lunch, I drifted and bobbed a nice little distance from the wind. The sun was out enough so figured a nice day to work on my summer tan and hide the farmer's tan I already have. While i was stopped I also filled up the two ballast tanks to over 20 gallons so now I am heavy in the stern. As I slowly throttle up, the spray off a larger wave hits my bare skin, IT WAS COLD! Even at a water temp of 70deg, it was cold. There are small white caps on a few of the building waves as I look towards the direction of the ramps. I think to myself, "not much of a mild day". Heading into the waves, the ride is a little bouncy but comfortable at 4500 rpms but the head wind is keeping me at 16 to 18mph.

Not the best day to get a feel for WOT measurements, so testing what Ana Marie thinks of little rougher water. I throttle up to 4800, then 5000 rpms. We are at 20mph and bouncing like a paint can shaker almost. Ana Marie seems to love it but I am to old to take that kind of pounding and seems to be shaking up the beer I had for lunch. I slow down to under 4000rpm and steeper angle of the boat cut through the water and not bounce. I turn so the waves are now hitting the boat on the port side more, throttle up and we are at 20mph again and think, this is great, I can tack back to the docks. Then the peak of a wave meeting a wake wave and I get sprayed again and this time my sunglasses are spotty with the spray. And OH SO COLD! I put my shirt back on and turn to go with the waves again, Ana Marie seems to be loving the conditions so we head north again following the seas. We did long slow turns, figure 8s and faster turns at different speeds to see how she handles. Both with the ballasts tanks full and empty. No way will I try high speed sharp turns without ballast and water being so cold. I imagine she would do a fast spin like jet skis can do or take a wave wrong and her stern bounce up and then bite, in the drink I go. Not willing to learn which she will pick.

The Ana Marie is a fun little boat to take out for a ride and her sea trails are close to being over and she has passed every test I can think to put her through. I love the room behind the seats to just walk around. She feels bigger than she is when I stand up or enjoy basking in the sun on the rear hatches to eat lunch. Her days of just having fun are close to over for now and she will start exploring our bayous and waterways soon. That is the end of another fun adventure in the Ana Marie.
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Hard to see the little white caps but they are there.

Boat at the dock and the ballasts tanks full. The motor is a 15" shaft, I clicked on the wrong one when ordering.
Look at all that room in the back!
A. A. Milne

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

Looks like you had the place to yourself, that's convenient. Thanks for the progress update, it's nice to hear about how things perform after they're in use. So you now refer to your baitwell and livewell as ballast tanks? LoL
Hank

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OQ you are correct the new Aluminum props are cast differently from those in the past and with different alloys and are closer to an SS prop than ever before but still not the equivalent. Not just for you but anyone who is interested here is how Mercury Racing calculates slip. https://www.mercuryracing.com/propeller ... lator.html Again 1" of pitch is about 200rpms and 1" in diameter equates to about 2.5" in pitch.

Glad to hear your season is starting up. Money, money, money. :D :D :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

So is that water or a fresh plowed field :doh:

cape man

Post by cape man »

Fuzz I thought you were from Texas? That's clear water there!
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

pee wee wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:56 am Looks like you had the place to yourself, that's convenient. Thanks for the progress update, it's nice to hear about how things perform after they're in use. So you now refer to your baitwell and livewell as ballast tanks? LoL
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah, that's all I am using them for right now. I don't freshwater fish so I just ballast tanks. But I did adjust the control valves so both tanks get a steady air stream and fill and drain without messing with the valves.

There were a number of boats out there just not where I was. 8 boat ramp and only two spots open when I got there. But a lot of boaters were leaving the trailer at the ramp and just quick testing their boats for the season coming up. 4 or 5 jet skiers were also zipping around.
Last edited by OrangeQuest on Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:47 pm OQ you are correct the new Aluminum props are cast differently from those in the past and with different alloys and are closer to an SS prop than ever before but still not the equivalent. Not just for you but anyone who is interested here is how Mercury Racing calculates slip. https://www.mercuryracing.com/propeller ... lator.html Again 1" of pitch is about 200rpms and 1" in diameter equates to about 2.5" in pitch.

Glad to hear your season is starting up. Money, money, money. :D :D :D

Tom
That is good news on the 1" diameter difference will drop 2.5" pitch. That puts the 4 bladed prop right where I need it to be. My OEM is 11.1/4" and the 4 blade is 10.2".
A. A. Milne

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

Fuzz wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:06 pm So is that water or a fresh plowed field :doh:
:lol: :lol: I know it's not the rolling mountains from your parts and our freshwater is super rich in dirt and "compost". The area is full of clay, the bayous and rivers dissolve the clay and carries it downstream. The heavier sand and peddles stay behind, and we get dirt colored water. Think of it as very thin mud that you can float in easier, like saltwater. :D
A. A. Milne