C17 - questions pre-build

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: C17 - questions pre-build

Post by OlivierP »

Jacques, you're welcome back any time to the Morbihan ! Yes indeed a small boat remains a small boat and 17ft is a compromise, the C17 is the max size that will fit for me. I'd rather not rely permanently on a bilge pump, but at rest with a full crew there may be no other option.

OneWayTrafic, thanks and yes I looked at your build and I'm considering similar scuppers. And I'm familiar with plugs :-). I'm thinking 2 scuppers to the transom, and 1 central opening to the bilge, with 3 plugs, so I can decide which ones to open or close based on circumstances.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

I'm looking at second hand outboards.
I currently use an almost new 50 Yam on my RIB which I like a lot, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle of switching it to the new boat and I may sell it with the RIB, and in addition I can keep fishing with the RIB while I build the C17...

I've seen a Mercury and a Tohatsu 50hp. The Tohatsu is a slightly smaller engine, 3 cylinder vs 4, 20kg lighter. The Mercury is more recent (2016 vs 2014) and has less hours - 300 vs 600. If anybody has an opinion I welcome any input.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would keep the Yamaha and sell Rib without a motor. The Yamaha is a better motor than the other two, I would otherwise go with the Merc if you have a reputable dealer nearby. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Fair enough, I'll think about it more and I'm in no hurry to buy a new engine anyway. For now I'll assume the design to be with the Yamaha, I may keep mine or find a new one by the time the build is done.

I'd like to cut and pre-drill the transom for mounting bolt holes, and have some questions for those familiar with Yamaha outboards.

I see that the shaft length is 20.7'', and that there are 4 mounting holes, separated by 0.7 inches. I would then assume the transom to be designed for a 20'' shaft, with the motor on hole #2 by default, reducing the shaft from 20.7 to 20'' it should be flush with the hull bottom, with the option of raising by 2 holes or lowering by 1. Is that correct ?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Here is the transom template for a 50hp. There should be a second hole about 1.5" below the first for adjustment. https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.net/4 ... ransom.jpg There are other drilling templates on the web that show both holes, but I couldn't find one right now. Make sure you coat the holes with epoxy.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks Tom. Yes I'll overdrill / fill / drill. I think the adjustment is on the motor side with multiple holes.