Trolling motor LM 18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Trolling motor LM 18

Post by Edd »

What would thrust would y’all recommend for a lm 18?
Minnkota vs motor guide?
12 vs 24?

I had a 12 v 55lb bow mount minnkota on a Carolina skiff about the same weight boat. It worked pretty good. But it didn’t have gps anchor. This would be the most economical and lightweight option, but I don’t know how much anchoring affects the battery life.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Trolling motor LM 18

Post by BarraMan »

Edd wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:58 am What would thrust would y’all recommend for a lm 18?
Minnkota vs motor guide?
12 vs 24?
I had a 12 v 55lb bow mount minnkota on a Carolina skiff about the same weight boat. It worked pretty good. But it didn’t have gps anchor. This would be the most economical and lightweight option, but I don’t know how much anchoring affects the battery life.
Trolling motors I know something about - I current own four (4)! 8O

I have a 55 lb (12v) non GPS Minn Kota Riptide on my 14’ alloy V-nose punt. Works fine on that boat. We spend most of the day on the trolling motor and get a couple of days out of 120 Ah AGM battery.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have a 112 lb Minn Kota (36v) Riptide Ulterra on my 22’ Mangusta hull barra boat. It moves that boat quite comfortably at up to 4 kts and the GPS anchor function holds the boat +/- 3 or 4 ft.

Personally, I wouldn’t be putting any less than an 80lb (24v) trolling motor on an 18’ boat, which is what my mates have on boats of that size.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Agree on 80lbs. My Minn Kota 55 lb is great on the SK14 and would work on the LM18 I think, but the 80 lb would be so nice.
btw, anchor lock, if you fish, is just plain great.

Dougster

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I have a 55lb trust 54" shaft 12v rip tide with Ipilot. I fish in the current with spot lock and love it. In general I have never thought man I need more power. Once the current get to 5MPH + I generally will anchor. I don't think you want the additional weight of the 80Lb trust as it requires 24V unless you are going lithium. Remember the LM boat only weighs 1200 pounds and is narrow. I generally default to always get the biggest motor, but in this case an extra 60-80 pound battery and the space to put it is a tough choice. If you are going to get the 80 pound trust, then get the Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra. The auto deploy is awesome.

cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

Edd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Edd »

That’s a direct comparison with Cbufs lm18. I definitely don’t want
Cbuf wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:00 pm I have a 55lb trust 54" shaft 12v rip tide with Ipilot. I fish in the current with spot lock and love it. In general I have never thought man I need more power. Once the current get to 5MPH + I generally will anchor. I don't think you want the additional weight of the 80Lb trust as it requires 24V unless you are going lithium. Remember the LM boat only weighs 1200 pounds and is narrow. I generally default to always get the biggest motor, but in this case an extra 60-80 pound battery and the space to put it is a tough choice. If you are going to get the 80 pound trust, then get the Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra. The auto deploy is awesome.

cbuf
to add a bunch of weight.

That’s a direct comparison. I definitely don’t want to add a bunch of weight.

Do you think a 48 in shaft would work?

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

Yes, 48" would be fine as the front of the boat is only a foot and half off the water. Now that you mention it I bought a 48" not the 54".

cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173