VG23 deck question

Sail Boats 15' and up. Please include the boat type in your question.
mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: VG23 deck question

Post by mhd »

rick berrey wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:46 pm I would go with Jacques fix , and then maybe take Pee Wees 1/2 inch . You wanted a more roomy boat from the start , so 2 or 3 inches of head room is going to give you that feeling -v- bumping your head .
Hi Rick,

Yes, that's probably what I'll end up with. I can enlarge the appropriate bulkheads as necessary and first test how possible it seems to bend the deck ply. If not possible, I'll trim the berth height slightly and go with Jacques king-plank suggestion.

Ply delivery has been handed over to a local company so should be here next week.

Cheers,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mick, have you heard from the local freight shipper as of yet? Jeff

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:43 am Mick, have you heard from the local freight shipper as of yet? Jeff
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for asking. No, I called them on Friday a bunch of times but no reply on the phone. I left a message and my number on their answer phone, along with the Pro number. I've not tried today, but I'll do that now.

Cheers,

Mick

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Jeff wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:43 am Mick, have you heard from the local freight shipper as of yet? Jeff
Jeff,

I managed to get through just now. They are due to deliver on Thursday.

Cheers,

Mick

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Mick,

Good!! Be ready to unload from trailer!! It is a big order!!

Look forward to watching your build!!

Jeff

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat »

pee wee wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:38 am You may also be able to slightly lower the berth to add to what you're doing above. With the hull curvature it probably isn't possible to go two inches, but even if it's only 1/2", it's a gain of headroom. Of course, that reduces the under berth storage by the same amount . . . there's no free lunch!
Another idea to gain some headroom over the berths/seats might be to make the cushions as thin as you can tolerate. Maybe compensate by using a higher end memory foam to maintain adequate comfort. Or have multiple layers of cushion, where you could roll up one thickness and stow when you are not trying to sleep on the berth. If you could find an air mattress of close to the right size, that could be a good sleeping solution as well, while reducing seated height.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Netpackrat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:14 am Another idea to gain some headroom over the berths/seats might be to make the cushions as thin as you can tolerate. Maybe compensate by using a higher end memory foam to maintain adequate comfort. Or have multiple layers of cushion, where you could roll up one thickness and stow when you are not trying to sleep on the berth. If you could find an air mattress of close to the right size, that could be a good sleeping solution as well, while reducing seated height.
Hi Netpackrat. Yes, that is a good idea and will probably be the way to go in combination with the other things. Thin cusion for sitting at table, thicker when sleeping. 1/2" here, 1/2" there, should be possibe.

I'm away for another 3+ weeks, and then will get back to the build in earnest.

Thanks,

Mick

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

EVA foam is great for cushions, and you can get in different thickness and density. They also are great for additional flotation.

https://www.foambymail.com/
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

OrangeQuest wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:31 pm EVA foam is great for cushions, and you can get in different thickness and density. They also are great for additional flotation.
https://www.foambymail.com/
Thanks - very useful. I've bookmarked the link.

rick berrey
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by rick berrey »

I found the pictures of the serpentaire with the top popped around the hatch . I don't know how to post links , but the site is , hisse-et-oh.com/wikiboats/super-serpentaire?f=tc&page=2&q=super-serpentaire . I have also seen some pictures of a couple serpentaire with long cabin versions , you may be able to add a bulkhead one frame back with a popped top version and get galley room or a head space + some head space . Rick