C17 station A

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C17 station A

Post by OlivierP »

Hi

Question for the designer.

I'm trying to understand how to draw/cut the sides of station A.

The plan indicates a 18mm camber on the side of station A, which would be a circlular line with 18mm camber in the middle. But looking closely at the drawing it does not look symmetrical, but more like 2 straight lines joining at an edge close to the bottom, where I believe the bottom panel meets the lower side panel. So maybe still a 18mm offset but much closer to the bottom, however I don't know where to draw it precisely.

Or is a 18mm circular camber in the middle close enough to fit, with gaps filled later ?

Thanks
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17 station A

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Camber is always done the same way. Draw a straight line between the two points. In the middle of this line put the camber (18mm) offset at right angles to the line. This is the third point. Then use a batten or pipe held between the three points to draw a fair curve, The curve is ideally a parabola. Cut along the curve.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Yes thanks I'm familiar with the process, this is my 4th build.

My issue is that this particular line doesn't look like a curve on the plan - but maybe it can be approximated by a curve.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Yep, just take a piece of PVC pipe and draw the curve from the end points around the middle point, giving you a nice smooth curve Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I see what you mean Oliver. I'm pretty sure I cut my frame A the way I described with the camber in the middle. Looking at my old photos, I don't think I had too many issues with loose fit at that frame. The diagram seems to show the camber centered in the bottom third, which might give a better fit for where the bottom and side panels join there. I can't see it mattering a lot either way to be honest.