Building an RB16 in Brazil

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cromus
New Poster
New Poster

Building an RB16 in Brazil

Post by Cromus »

Hi guys, I’m new on boat building but very experienced in building and restoring things, including cars, motorcycles and even furniture.
I was looking for a not much complicated to build power boat and analyzed both RB16 and RB18, taking decision of the RB16.
I bought the plans, studied it and started to plan the building. The first thing was to “convert it” to available materials in Brazil, for example, our plywood size are different from the ones on the project, our standard are 2200x1600mm and 2500x1600mm, so, the original project fitted inside it but many material would be wasted, so, I converted it changing the parts place on the boards. The epoxy resin was another challenge since home boat building isn’t something usual around here, so I consulted some suppliers and found a recommended one from the company Redelease (if you are from Brazil, I strong recommend talk with them about resin, fiber and related tools).
After converted the drawing I was worried if I did something wrong on the drawing, so, I decided to print the parts on scale 1:15 and build a small version of it. Fortunately I did it because some mistakes has been made and gave me the opportunity to fix it before cut the real version.
This week all the parts are being cut by cnc (unfortunately isn’t viable to buy the cnc kit in Brazil because of freight and I had to design my own version of it using our plywood standards), I will post some pictures when they are done.
My 1:15 scaled version
My 1:15 scaled version
One detail, I hadn’t scale exactly the thickness of the boards on the miniature because it wont allow me to print it easily, so, it maybe looks weird thicker.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Building an RB16 in Brazil

Post by Jeff »

Welcome Cromus!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Welcome, look forward to lots of pictures of your build. The RB16 is a pretty boat. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Hi Cromus,

Welcome. Building a model is a great way to get a "feel" for the boat you are building. You'll enjoy the whole process very much I'm sure. I'm looking forward to reading about your build.

Cheers,

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Cromus
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Cromus »

Some news from my RB16, I just cut all the plywood and started to glue some parts, so I brought some pics, not good ones yet but maybe it help someone or maybe someone notice something I’m doing wrong.

First, the 3D printed got some style
The small 3d printed got some style
The small 3d printed got some style
Some of the cut parts
Everything cut, probably
Everything cut, probably
Working with the epoxy glue
8A61BC14-69AB-485F-B715-08D7C2C7D9E1.jpeg

jtdums
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jtdums »

It looks like your fiberglass is "floating" on the epoxy with maybe some air bubbles under it? when you glue the sections together, maybe try using a scrap piece of material on top of the plastic you have covering the joint. Flatten the glass and press it tight to the plywood. Extra epoxy isn't really helpful for strength here. You will get comfortable with "enough" to wet out the glass and saturate the plywood without extra. Good luck.
The RB16 is a great design and really fun on the water.
Sanding is cathartic...

Cromus
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Cromus »

Time to align it:
Alignment being done with laser
Alignment being done with laser
Thanks for the tips about pressing the fiberglass with a plastic to remove the excess resin. I’m using a metal roll to press it to help the resin to impregnate but it don’t remove the excess resin. By the way, we shall use PP or PE to do that, PVC will probably be harder to remove because it adheres to the resin.