C21 Build flipping the boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
PapaDave
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: C21 Build flipping the boat

Post by PapaDave »

Hello Bruce,
I flipped a Panga 22 a few months back with the cradle attached so we did not need to lift the boat again. This was a two person flip that took 15 minutes and one day of prep work. Just rolled it back into the shop on the 6 wheeled cradle. The flip can seem intimidating but it is just another small step in the process to enjoy. If I had enough people to help, I prefer to muscle it over and then have a flip party.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9MsPcrq54M

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Bruce Freeman wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:22 pm Tom and Barraman, thanks for your reply! Really helpful, I was hoping to do the flip in my garage but only 8' in height to work with. Perhaps best to build the jig on castors to move the boat in and out of the garage and under the frame for each flip. I'm thinking the boat will need three flips through the building process.
Bruce, if possible, most of the guy's plan on only one flip. They get the bottom faired and painted and the sides faired and primed. You can do the final painting of the sides after everything else is done. You can also paint the sides before the flip and then cover the sides with tarps.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by blueflood »

Hi Bruce,

For my HMD19, I spent way too much time worrying about the flip. She was built outside under a shelter however so head space was not really a factor. The weight was a non-issue as well, I had recruited way too many people where 4-6 would have been plenty (post flip party).

I built the hull supports (craddle) on the upside down hull and marked the bottom where the supports were (those two supports are in line with two frames) and stiffened the hull sides at the gunnels with 1x2 pine boards. The frames were also spot glued during the initial set-up.

Once flipped over with hull correctly position on the supports, I levelled the hull once more (longitudinally and transverse) then stood back and was amazed on the sheer internal volume soon to be full of woodwork... and epoxying and sanding 😂 She was big, I can imagine yours.

P.S. the hull exterior was 75% completed at that point. The bottom anti fouling was already applied and so were all hull openings. I had to do final fairing on the sides after she was flipped, then prep and paint.

Have fun flipping and don't sweat it 👍🏻

Marc

Bruce Freeman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bruce Freeman »

I very much appreciate the responses on the "flip" guys! Really helpful.