C21 Build flipping the boat

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bruce Freeman
New Poster
New Poster

C21 Build flipping the boat

Post by Bruce Freeman »

I am moving forward building a C21 dual console. This will be my third boat build - 16' skiff with 20hp & 20" tandem sea kayak. Both of these boat builds went well and I still consider myself firmly in the novice category. I built the boats alone with tech support over the phone and emails with Youtube now and again. The C21 is a big boat and I will be doing the build alone. A concern I do have is flipping the boat! I could use all of your guidance on how to do this. The boat will be built in my garage which is a tight fit but can be done. Any advice is greatly appreciated. When I flipped the skiff it took 4 guys and 6 old tires. Thanks! Bruce

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: C21 Build flipping the boat

Post by Fuzz »

A lot will depend on how much room and height you have to work with. The hull will not be very heavy at that point but it will be big. I flipped a 32x13 hull in my shop but I had big beams in it and 20 foot ceiling to work with.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Plan on taking it outside.

Then make a cradle; that way if it falls; it hits the cradle instead of breaking..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I was worried about my C17 flip but it was a non event. If alone rig up a hoist and bow and stern u bolts. Or strap loops. Easiest is always five big guys and a few beers.

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:12 pm I was worried about my C17 flip but it was a non event. If alone rig up a hoist and bow and stern u bolts. Or strap loops. Easiest is always five big guys and a few beers.
Easiest is always five big guys and a few beers AFTER THE FLIP
corrected. :lol:
"that it isn't just an ordinary sort of boat. Sometimes it's a Boat, and sometimes it's more of an Accident. It all depends." "Depends on what?" "On whether I'm on the top of it or underneath it."
A. A. Milne

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Too easy! :doh: Lift it at each end and roll it over! :lol:

Bruce Freeman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bruce Freeman »

Thanks for the picture. Very helpful. Do you know how high the frame is over the stern? Any chance you have a video of the flip using the frame and hoists?

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

It’s unfortunate that all the pics that were on my build thread were lost when the host I used for those pics went belly up!
When I get a chance I’ll see what I have and put them up.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Bruce, Barraman built the MG20 + 10% so his beam is 7'7" roughly, so he has to be able to raise the boat half of that plus a little mor. So, figure on a minimum of 8' or more likely 9-10' to allow for the pulleys. I would go with the latter looking at the height of the men and the transom height.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Bruce Freeman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bruce Freeman »

Tom and Barraman, thanks for your reply! Really helpful, I was hoping to do the flip in my garage but only 8' in height to work with. Perhaps best to build the jig on castors to move the boat in and out of the garage and under the frame for each flip. I'm thinking the boat will need three flips through the building process.