MI 12 rowboat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
stevep
New Poster
New Poster

MI 12 rowboat

Post by stevep »

Question for Jacques and others -- I would like (need) the finished boat to be as light as possible for car topping. It will be used by 1 rower on nearby lakes and the tributaries of Chesapeake Bay, so no rocky bottoms or shores. The plans call for 6mm plywood for the side planking. I would keep the bottom as called for in the plans, but would like to use 4mm plywood for the side planking if that would be acceptable. So, my question is would it be acceptable to use 4mm plywood for the side planking of this design? (I am planning to fiberglass the exterior of the boat with epoxy.) Thanks very much for your advice.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: MI 12 rowboat

Post by Fuzz »

One very good builder here used thinner than spec plywood on his boat sides. Turned out to be a bad idea. The thin stuff would not hold a fair shape so when fairing he used more epoxy and filler to make it look right. He said it cost far more doing it that way. Do the math and you will see the weight savings will be very minor.