C17 open in France - launched

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: C17 open in France

Post by OlivierP »

Well, I though I had carefully measured, but I had measured the first frame and had not realized that the following were slightly lower, so I had to shave a couple of centimeters off the windscreen frames... no big deal.

Deck (including all lockers, a pain in the neck...) fully primed now.

Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Well, we've been hit by storm after storm on the west coast of France lately, with winds gusting to 150km/h, so it has been impossible to progress with painting as the boat is outside under a car port. Finally a calm day today and I managed to put top coat on the deck, but I think that's it for this year.

I'll resume the project next spring with a final top coat, non slip paint on the sole, mounting the motor and deck equipment, and launch.

So let's call it a year.

All the best to all.

Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Looks good.

I hate stopping for the year. I think I have a week or so left, unless we have a warm spell between now and Christmas.

Jbo

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Looks good!! Jeff

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

Looks good!!

I'll bet you could gain a little space by letting air out of the tires getting out.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Yes I could, thanks, but I'm ok now, I just have to lower the support wheel of the trailer at the hook. A tight fit for sure.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

After a few weeks of drying, I thought that the top coat was good enough, only the transom will need touch ups. So I had a go at installing most of the deck hardware.

Last edited by OlivierP on Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by TomTom »

Your boat looks awesome. Love the layout particularly at the bow of the lockers.
My only comment would be that you will get lots of wear on your gunwales/ paintwork from the ropes if you leave those front side cleats as they are; perhaps mount them on a sacrificial piece of wood, or a small piece of stainless plate under them that contours round the side of the gunwale a little.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Tom

Thanks for the kind comments, and for the suggestion. You're right, the gunwale paint is somewhat exposed around the cleats and more protection would be useful. I doesn't worry me too much for now because the boat won't rest at the dock but will be launched from the trailer, so the cleats will see very little use, only for a few minutes while boarding / landing. I'm also about to add a rubber rail around the rubrails.
Last edited by OlivierP on Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Back at work and getting closer to the finish line. The motor will be installed on Wednesday, along with the remaining controls.

In the meantime I have installed the rub rail (not finished yet), the swim ladder, the bilge pump and bilge drain, the pilot seat, the steering and a few other things, and touched up the hull paint where needed. It' too cold to glue the keel guard so that will wait.

Last edited by OlivierP on Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.