C17 open in France - launched

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: C17 open 'Fair Enough' in France

Post by Jaysen »

Man! that feels good, doesn't it?

I like that color. What is the topside color going to be?
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Very nice color. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks guys. The top (rub rail, deck, console...) will be off white (Dover white ?). There will be cream non-slip paint on the sole. Very classic colors, but I'm fine with classic on a Classic...
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

That will be glamorous. Like a dark navy suit and a cream shirt. Classic.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Top coat #2. I see a #3 coming. The surface is less smooth than I was used to with that paint (International Perfection) on my previous builds, maybe it's the rollers that leave very tiny bubbles on the surface. I'll probably try a different roller for coat #3.

Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

You're talking the black art of finish painting! Could be the roller texture, or amount and type of thinners . . . if the paint is not leveling out before it sets, then it won't be smooth.

I remember years ago I was into building plastic airplane models and before I bought an airbrush I brush painted, with predictable results- except this one time when all the stars aligned and I got this super shiny and flawlessly smooth 747 airliner perfectly done. It wasn't the brush, it was the consistency of the paint that was correct for the temperature and humidity at the time I was painting.

Do you have a practice board to check the paint behavior before you start on the hull?

Ultimately, it does look nice and once it's flipped and in the water it will still look beautiful.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

1. the fish don't care.
2. If you don't care, then who else has a right to an opinion?
3. If #2 is "no one" then anyone that complains is shark food.

That said, my unfortunate experience is that if you want a "smooth finish" you are not going to like my next couple of sentences.

To make that smooth you need to sand the texture out. FG1K went crazy chasing a series of paint issues looking for good roll and tip finishes. Everytime there was a problem, the only solution was to erase it, not cover it. That means sand it off. Sorry.

As to the smoothness question, pee wee has it. the bubbles are from surface adhesion to the roller or air bubbles from mixing/pouring paint. orange peel is due to overly thick paint not smoothing which is partially due to surface tension with the roller. answer to both is thinning paint with proper thinning agents and slowing flashtime to allow for proper leveling.

Where pee wee has it wrong is "black art"... it's more "multiple deals with the devil followed with more deals with the devil topped with deals with the devil". If you can find a way do spray, you won't hate making that transition. it reduces the devil deals to 2 layers.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks, that's more or less what I thought, I can't sell my soul to the devil because it's sold out already, so I'll try sanding, different rollers, and thinning. I guess I was just lucky on the previous builds...

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

An alternative is a vinyl boat wrap. Any colour you like, and any design you like. No worries about orange peel or anything.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Ok that's it, 3rd coat with different roller and a little thinner. It went better, still not perfect but I'll live with it, it's "fair enough"...

Next step is the flip next week.