C17 open in France - launched

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: C17 open 'Fair Enough' in France

Post by OlivierP »

Looking at the profile after gluing the side panels, it seems that I have some droop at the bow. Maybe the thicker panels did not bend exactly as expected. I'll probably try to pull the bow back to see if it helps before installing the rub rails, or add a spreader close to the bow, otherwise the droop may become permanent. Not a deal breaker but I'd rather avoid it. Any advice welcome. Thanks
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Not sure what you are referring to since I see that you have all the panels filleted and laminated. Please provide some pictures for reference if you can.
thanks,
Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks, I'll take a picture when I go back to the workshop, likely Saturday. Everything is glued, but the tip of the bow droops (actually lifts, since it's upside down...) by a few centimeters when seen from the side. Maybe the panels aren't spread enough towards the front, between the bow and frame A. You can't see that from the current pictures.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

This pops up a lot in the C series boats. 17, 19 and 21.

I wasn’t partial to the look and flattened it out after the flip, before sticking the deck on top of the frames. Shaving out the hump left some skinny sections of rub rail, but I was able to fill these to a batten which made it all go away.

Regrettably, I didn’t correct it where it shows on the bottom edge of the upper panel. Maybe next winter.

Point being, it’s there, but you can make it go away.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Like Dan said this really happens a lot if you do not pay attention and pull the panels down hard when stitching. Follow his lead and you can fix it.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Found a pic of the correction. From October 2021.
Attachments
1D0A6DDB-61C3-4B77-93B6-84B5882A7759.jpeg

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I discovered mine after flipping, and the rubrail was on.

I glued the backing block for the cleat on top rather than under the front panel. This somewhat hides the droop. I may eventually bolt a bow roller on it.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks to all, it's about similar to what Dan shows. I'll probably fix what remains after the flip the same way.

I think I'll pre-cut some extension pieces for under the last meter or 2 of the rub rail at the front, before mounting the rail, to be ready to extend it if I have to cut it down. It also means that I won't paint the sides before the flip as I initially planned, probably only the bottom and maybe the lower side panels

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

This is the droop at the bow

I've pre-cut rub rail extensions to fix it after the flip.

Otherwise, installed the keel and built dams to sharpen the edges of the last 2 meters of the sides and the transom

And busy glassing the console

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Just remember after sharpening the edges you will need to round them slightly say a 1/16" - 1/8" so the paint will hold. It can create a crack on a sharp corner. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978