C17 open in France - launched

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: C17 open 'Fair Enough' in France

Post by TomW1 »

OlivierP wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:02 am Tom,

Thanks but I believe this is incorrect. On the plan the stringers end right at the back of frame B and don't cross it to frame A (which is way above the sole anyway). Besides I have not cut notches in the transom, what you see on the jig is Frame E, the transom is not mounted yet.

But thanks for the close examination, I'm sure there will be mistakes, there has been already.
Good enough just going on memory and did not realize you did not have the transom mounted. Carry on with the good work. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Progressing, slowly. Busy assembling the stringers, transom, bottom panels. Made also some good progress on the console and pilot seat. The temperature is still low, gluing is only possible for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

Last edited by OlivierP on Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good progress!!! Jeff

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Dry fitting the motor well sides and transom. They fit :-)

Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

That looks right! Take your time at this stage to check everything for square, for alignment, hook or hog in the aft section, etc. Take diagonal measurements, pull string, use a laser, whatever you have available, this is your easiest time to get things right or wrong.
Hank

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Looks clean and fair!

May be too late, but something that I believe is worth mentioning.

One thing I would have differently on my C19, would have been to delay cutting out for the motor until I had a motor in hand. Imagine prepping the transom or a 20" shaft motor, and then finding a deal on a 25. Also, after building up glass on top of the clamping board, and shaping the "v" at the bottom of the hull, I wound up with about 21" from the top of the clamp to the keel. While mounting the outboard this was enough for us to question whether or not the motor will be too high. We will soon find out...

Maybe the best case is prepping for a 25" shaft, but allowing enough meat to cut it out further if required.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks to all.

Regarding the motor, I have it already, a 50hp Yam on my RIB that I'll transfer in due time, so dimensions should be ok. I have even already drilled the mounting holes.

I'll double check alignment. I have used a laser when mounting the jig but nothing is perfect. I have a couple more days before assembly because I intend to pre-drill the transom for the swim ladder and the kicker bracket, easier when the transom is laying flat and not yet painted.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

I'm progressing, slowly, to get the plywood to bend and take shape. I'm using thicker plywood than specified and it's very reluctant to strong bending... getting there, with patience. I don't know if spot welding with epoxy will be strong enough to hold everything together when I remove the stitches, there's so much tension, I may need to tape some places at the bow with small pieces of tape. We'll see, I'll dry fit the upper side panels first.

You may notice that the side panels overlap the bottom. As discussed in a previous thread, I have decided to include built-in reverse chines filled with epoxy (like the OB15), as I had enough plywood available in the new nesting, the lower side panels were extended by 1 inch for that purpose. I thought I could still cut them down if I didn't like the result but it looks good and I'm keeping them.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Stiches removed, sanded, upper panel dry fitted.

Next step, fill stitching holes and gaps, build reverse chines, glue the upper panels.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I was going to recommend that you glass the bottom before gluing the upper side panels. Easier to reach.

I'd run the bottom glass to the panel overlap, and cover with a fillet there. Easier to fair the transition.

It's also a good time to precut the rubrail pieces before gluing on the upper side. You can trace the outline, cut and check for fit on the shop floor. Obviously don't glue them until the panel is on.