C17 open in France - launched

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

C17 open in France - launched

Post by OlivierP »

Hello to all builders

I'm starting the build of a customized C17 with an open layout and a center console. I chose this plan because I wanted an offshore-capable small fishing boat, easy to launch single handed. It will be powered with a 50hp 4 stroke Yamaha.

It may be named "Fair Enough", to remind me that I have to stop fairing and go fishing instead... I'm not after a boat show finish, more a work boat, as neat as possible compatible with a short build time frame (I hope to finish it this year for next spring launch).

For plywood, I ended up buying full okoume marine in 8mm and 10mm. I can't find 5 plies 6mm marine around here, 8mm is the thinnest 5 plies available, so it will do for the hull sides and bottom. 10mm will substitute for 9 and 12mm, a little too thin for the sole so I'll add some supports between frames because the central span is quite large.

I had to redo all the nesting because the plywood sheets are much larger than specified (310x150cm), but the benefit is that all long panels fit in 2 sheets instead of 3. I added the seats and console in the nesting as well so all is cut from the same plywood.

Otherwise it will be foam-filled, with chase tubes to the console, and above-deck 42 liters plastic fuel tank in the console. Minimal instrumentation (a GPS/sounder and that's about it), a swim ladder, a kicker bracket just in case, a bimini top.

I have cut the parts in my small garage, I'll move to a larger workshop and intend to start the gluing and assembly shortly, waiting for temperature to be consistently above 15°C, which should happen soon hopefully.

First pictures below, to be continued.

Plywood :

Panels :

Frames with rod holders :

Frames sides are doubled

Console back and front, with seat and space for the fuel tank

Building frame on wheels

Last edited by OlivierP on Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: C17 open 'Fair Enough' in France

Post by fallguy1000 »

Congrats Olivier,

The only caution I will give you is venting the fuel tank is hard to do properly with the fuel in the cc. The proper venting is always, always overboard. So, if the boat is inspected, it would be required to vent all the way to the side. This is achievable by lowering the tank into the hull, but not a great idea for the vent line to have any low spots either, so it is a real difficult challenge.

Some of our US builders do not care because they are not getting inspected. As you are in France, I am only looking out for you.

Fuel landing in the bilge, if spilled is also bad. If I were building this boat, I would not put the fuel in the cc because I would not want to smell fuel vapors or worry about my friend smoking by the vent.

All the best, we will help you in anyway we can and look out for anything we see going wrong. Like a friendly QA team.

Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MikeyGnz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by MikeyGnz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:05 pm
I would not put the fuel in the cc because I would not want to smell fuel vapors or worry about my friend smoking by the vent.
You let people smoke on your boat? That action has a walk-the-plank punishment on my boat.

All the best for the build Olivier. Looks like you are off to a good start.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Thanks Dan, I welcome any help or comment.

Regarding the tank I'll double check the venting regulation but venting the console in the cockpit appears sufficient here for an open boat, at least it is on my current commercial RIB which uses the same principle of plastic tank in the console, without any vent or filling device, and it seems to have passed all needed certifications...

Yes this will also be a non smoking boat :-)
Built C17 (app.php/gallery/album/262), GF14, Devlin Bella 16. Sails a 30ft Biloup 89 sailboat.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

To each, but I would not want fuel vapors in the cockpit...
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Most boats this size would have portable tanks and people wouldn't give that a second thought even though they vent and would often be filled in the cockpit. I think the console is really one of the few viable options for a built in tank in a small boat. Certainly some boats come from the factory that way, and I have never had an issue with smelling fuel in my FS17. Being near the center also means trim doesn't change much with fuel level

All that said, I would be very careful to separate the tank and hoses from any electronics in the console. It's safe because an open CC has a lot of ventilation, if vapors build up inside your console in a space with any chance of spark that would be dangerous.

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

Congrats Oliver. Excellent choice on the open C17. You wont be disappointed. I have my gas tank in the console seat....19 gal....which as it turns out is larger than my 60 hp Yamaha needs for all day and more.... its vented and sealed from the upper console and wiring. Boat is going on ten years old...no problems or ever any noticeable fumes......I would not hesitate to do it that way again. My boat was inspected before being registered.
Looking forward to watching as you go forward.

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Progressing, the jig is built and I have started assembling the transom and stringers

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I see what could be two errors in cutting out the notches for the stringers. First it looks like you cut out notches in the transom, there should not be any there as the transom pushes against the stringers and you tape the stringers to the transom. Second, you have not cut any notches in the second panel back or mold B. There needs to be notches there for the stringers to run forward to mold A.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OlivierP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OlivierP »

Tom,

Thanks but I believe this is incorrect. On the plan the stringers end right at the back of frame B and don't cross it to frame A (which is way above the sole anyway). Besides I have not cut notches in the transom, what you see on the jig is Frame E, the transom is not mounted yet.

But thanks for the close examination, I'm sure there will be mistakes, there has been already.