jig/strongbacks for C-21

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Bruce Freeman
New Poster
New Poster

jig/strongbacks for C-21

Post by Bruce Freeman »

Getting prepped to build the C-21 and looking for advice on building the jig/strongbacks. I would like guidance on what length, width, and height has worked best. I'm thinking 20' long but a bit shorter would be nice, and 4' wide resting on 4x4 posts on casters lifting the jig 3' off the floor - is this too high? Thanks for your recommendations! Bruce

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: jig/strongbacks for C-21

Post by TomW1 »

Bruce Freeman wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:47 pm Getting prepped to build the C-21 and looking for advice on building the jig/strongbacks. I would like guidance on what length, width, and height has worked best. I'm thinking 20' long but a bit shorter would be nice, and 4' wide resting on 4x4 posts on casters lifting the jig 3' off the floor - is this too high? Thanks for your recommendations! Bruce
If you have the plans they should give guidance on building the strongback. Things for you to consider are how far that big bow will drop down from the rest of the boat. The 4-5' width will probably work but remember it is an 8' wide boat so 5-6' wide may be better but again check the plans.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Bruce Freeman
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Bruce Freeman »

Thanks Tom. How about leg length on the strongback? Do you think raising the strongback two feet off the ground is enough? I'm thinking about if I need to get under the boat if needed but being careful not too high so that I can reach across during the build?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Bruce Freeman wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:22 am Thanks Tom. How about leg length on the strongback? Do you think raising the strongback two feet off the ground is enough? I'm thinking about if I need to get under the boat if needed but being careful not too high so that I can reach across during the build?
You really don't want to work off a ladder, so not over 2'.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Check the plans to see high high bow is above the base line. Then build strongback so that the bow is a bit off the floor. If the strongback is too high its a pita reaching up. I think I had the nose of my LB22 just a few inches off the floor, with plenty of room for me to crawl under amidships.

Dougster