Jaques Mertens-Goossens

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jaques Mertens-Goossens

Post by Reid »

Friends of Boat Builder Central,

It is with deep sadness and heavy hearts that we inform you of the passing of our friend, colleague, and founder of Boat Builder Central/Bateau, Jacques Mertens-Goossens.
Jacques passed away early morning, Tuesday, April 5th, while in the care of Hospice in Vero Beach, FL.
Jacques was an accomplished naval architect/engineer and will be sorely missed. He was passionate about boats, this company that he founded back in 1986, and the customer base he engaged with on a daily basis.
Our thoughts and prayers are with his family during this difficult time.

-Jeff, Reid, and Crystal
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Jaques Mertens-Goossens

Post by TomW1 »

Reid please express my sympathy to Jaques family. I met them when they made a trip up here to the mountains several years ago. They had just finished a bike ride at the Tsali bike trails. May he rest in peace among the sailors in the sky's. He will be missed as he was always there to support the builders with kind words when needed or a pointer to get them going again.

This is truly shocking news as he was not that old. :cry:

Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

Truly sad news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I never met Jaques in person, but he was very helpful and friendly when we conversed online. I always brag to folks that my little V12 was built with the supervision of the designer and all my modifications were laughed at by him directly. I hope that Lil Bit and I will continue to prove how well-thought-out his small boat designs are. His spirit will be here every time I'm out there enjoying the beauty of his hull design.

Add my condolences to those of the others.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Please offer my condolences to the family. Thanks.

Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

fallguy1000 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:07 pm Please offer my condolences to the family. Thanks.

Dan
X2 That is tough news and very surprising. I know he will be missed by many of us.

cape man

Post by cape man »

What a loss.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Very sad news! JM was a legend and his awesome FS14LS design has brought us on innumerable adventures in the 3-4 years we've used the boat.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Very sorry to hear. I will sure miss his advice and posts here. Wish I’d gotten to meet him in person.

Jbo

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Heartbreaking.

Dougster