Oh oh

Please use this forum to tell us about problems you are having with the forum software, or the new site. This lets us keep the boat building discussions free from clutter.

Your comments and tips are appreciated.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Oh oh

Post by fallguy1000 »

fyi Jaysen n co

I think the bot made it past the human verification because I got a message saying server traffic was too heavy for me to open unread messages.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Re: Oh oh

Post by fallguy1000 »

My hunch is that the website is still under attack. It took me a couple tries to get to the verify you are a human screen today and was just spinning, so I closed the window and tried again. That was this morning.

I'm only reporting out of concern.

Maybe if you take it down for maintenance; the attack will crash?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Late reply on my part.

This one looks to be more server backup related. No boy loads made it through that I can see. Not sure why there were issues this time and I’m working to “smack it harder”. We may be at a tipping point with the current system.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I don't log on until around 9 each morning, but I've not experienced any delays other than the initial one of about five seconds.
Hank

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

So I think there is a larger issue here that ISN'T related to the server as well.
1. If you are slow getting to the "verifying that you are human" aspect, that is WAY before BBC servers. That is your ISP or the "the internet in general". Cloudflare (our CDN) is geographically diverse and should never be more than a few seconds for anyone to load.
2. If you are fast to the "verify" then slow after that it could be BBC server. But I am seeing issues between Cloudflare and Dreamhost (I was hoping the changes to Cloudflare and the new filter would help alleviate some of that slowness).
3a. If you are hitting the site between 9p and 5a Fri - Mon you may hit the giant full back up window. I can't change the time. I can't make it faster unless you all want to lose pictures or posts. I don't want to lose either.
3b. If you are hitting the site between 11p and 5a Mon - Fri you may hits the smaller incremental backup window. I can't change the time. I can't make it faster unless you all want to lose pictures or posts. I don't want to lose either.

I am working with Jeff to see if we can make some changes to address what Jaysen thinks are issues with hosting, but the forums are expensive to run. The fixes aren't cheap. There is only so much I'm willing to suggest as it becomes silly for us to expect Jeff to keep pouring $$ into forums. I am working on ways to help make the forums pay for themselves but... I don't like the options for that either.

Anyway... that's what I know and the current thoughts behind the slow progress to better resolution.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

All I care about is security.

When I get a warning that there is "too much activity" on the server; it makes me worry about an attack on what is ultimately a lot of content that helps support the success of diy boatbuilding.

Of course, then I cannot access the forums which adds to the worry about security, so access is married to security.

I do not care about speed; within reason. If a picture takes 10 seconds to load; then if seems fishy, back to security.

I never access the site on my pc anymore, so I am only talking about the site security; not my own, ftmp.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

As far as the "data integrity" goes (not losing data) I've gone as far as is practical with current hosting limits. We have multiple backups on-site. We are too big and the forum software does not support moving to distributed hosting (AWS buckets) which would make me feel better. The current limits on local backups are a hosting provider limit and I'll be discussing ways to help further secure our data with Jeff.

As far as pure data security (protection from disclosure or inspection) we have implemented a few more layers to protect you all. The implementation of Cloudflare reduces direct access to the servers by "not Jaysen". We have updated the internal security on the PHPBB to use encrypted communications (this was a while back). We are a couple of versions behind, but there are some complications to the upgrade that have me going slow (back to not losing things). I'm hoping to get the latest upgrade in soon. Expect an announcement about it before it happens.

Thank you all for understanding.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

What happens now and then is when we go to submit a message; the system hangs.

I typically hit submit again and get the too soon to reply again message which means the message was accepted, but the system does not 'complete' the transaction and the bar on the bottom goes 25/% across only.

All the best, Dan

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

See message below.
Last edited by piperdown on Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

I haven't noticed any delay except for the initial screen verifying I'm a real person. Posting though, this one as an example, took a little over 2 mins after I hit submit.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain