Thinking about building a bay boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Thinking about building a bay boat

Post by Browndog »

The FS 19 I built for my brother has turned out to be a great boat and I’m thinking about building another one. The top speed of the FS 19 is about 42 MPH and I’m thinking I might want something a little faster to rival my current Egret
Carbon/Kevlar 189 that it would replace that has a top speed of 52 MPH.

Considering the Mangusta 20 or Phantom 22 as options.

My main interest is inshore fishing. Shallow draft is a consideration. The FS 19 is a particularly good handling and riding boat and with the spray rails that I put on it is extremely dry riding too. How does the MG 20 and PH 22 ride?

The Egret is fast, handles a chop well, great to fish out of, and is very dry riding. A few things about the Egret I don’t like are that it tends to wander side to side at idle speeds like when transiting in no wake zones due to its falling off of its deep vee, it has considerable bow rise before planing unless I gun it for a quick hole shot, and it falls off of plane at a fairly high speed of about 16-18 mph. The FS 19 does not have these issues. How do the MG 20 & PH 22 compare in this regard?

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Thinking about building a bay boat

Post by BarraMan »

Browndog wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:27 pm The FS 19 I built for my brother has turned out to be a great boat and I’m thinking about building another one. The top speed of the FS 19 is about 42 MPH and I’m thinking I might want something a little faster to rival my current Egret Carbon/Kevlar 189 that it would replace that has a top speed of 52 MPH.
Considering the Mangusta 20 or Phantom 22 as options.
My main interest is inshore fishing. Shallow draft is a consideration. The FS 19 is a particularly good handling and riding boat and with the spray rails that I put on it is extremely dry riding too. How does the MG 20 and PH 22 ride?
The Egret is fast, handles a chop well, great to fish out of, and is very dry riding. A few things about the Egret I don’t like are that it tends to wander side to side at idle speeds like when transiting in no wake zones due to its falling off of its deep vee, it has considerable bow rise before planing unless I gun it for a quick hole shot, and it falls off of plane at a fairly high speed of about 16-18 mph. The FS 19 does not have these issues. How do the MG 20 & PH 22 compare in this regard?
Hmmmm, I may be the only regular on this forum with first-hand experience of the Mangusta hull!

Other than being up-scaled 10%, my hull is stock standard Mangusta. I built it to be able to travel to fishing spots in remote parts of the Gulf of Carpentaria in northern Australia. The Gulf is shallow and often windy and is known for its nasty afternoon chop. I needed something with more length and deadrise than my 14' tinnie. The Mangusta hull has 18o of deadrise at the transom and my boat, as built is 22' in length. I also needed something that was 'crocodile safe' as I planned to overnight on the boat on occasions! :help:

Characteristics of my Mangusta hull.
It is fast! I've run it at 50 kts (58 mph). I assume the hull at its designed length and same hp (250) would be even faster - as would my boat if I prop'd it for speed. It has a sweet-spot, for me, at around 30 kts. In the places that I fish, no other boat has managed to go around me when travelling! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is very stable, both at rest and at speed.
It handles very nicely. I used to race ski boats and my Mangusta based hull is the nicest handling boat I have driven. It has NO vices! If I pull it into a tight turn at 40 kts and feed in all 250 horses, I can just get it to power slide!
It is dry, in all but the most extreme conditions; eg strong quartering headwind or when it spears into a large oncoming wave.
It comes onto the plane in about two boat lengths if I gun it, or at about 15 kts, and holds the plane down to about 12 kts. It tracks straight at <6 kts!
I have fishing mates who are pro guides and skippers - they LUV my boat!

I can't comment on the PH22 other than to say that if I was only operating in sheltered croc free waters I may have opted for that hull.

The only other documented Mangusta hull build on the forum that I am aware of is that of 'fmiles'. I understand that he has since sold that boat. He described his build as a 'wet' boat, but my spray rails/strakes are much more aggressive than what he put on his build.

I've said before that if I was 10 yrs (maybe 20 yrs :D ) younger, I would seriously consider building Mangusta 20 hulls, with bass boat style decks, commercially!

I'll watch whatever you decide to build with interest!

Regards
Lee
Last edited by BarraMan on Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

There was one PH22 built on here quite a while ago you will need to do a search for it. I will also it turned out quite nice.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

TomW1 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:43 pm There was one PH22 built on here quite a while ago you will need to do a search for it. I will also it turned out quite nice.
Tom
I ran a few searches for PH22 builds. Lots of interest and questions but very few confirmed builds. The plans don't specify the dead rise at the transom, but to get the shallow draft I figure it must have a reasonably flat bottom! :D

'Inspector2002' built one back in 2005. In fact I think its the boat featured in the Plans pages.

'Phantom_22', among others, made noises about building one but I can't find evidence of him following through with it! 8O Also 'Kingfish', as noted by Tom, but limited details and no pics that I can find.

Seems to be a common story here - boats built but not documented on the forum! :doh:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I wanted to go plus 10% on the PH22, but have JM do it. Not gonna happen.

I have to much to do to build it now. Maybe if I get to move to Texas.

I was gonna change the ga/layout.

What draft do you need?

Lotsa people build and never share their work for the xtra work to post..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:26 am I wanted to go plus 10% on the PH22
Wow, that would be a BIG boat! 8O

Length and width wise the PH22 is similar in size to my up-scaled Mangusta 20 Hull!

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

My Egret 189 has a draft of about 11” and that is adequate for the type of use it will get. The Moccasin 210 is the boat I’m thinking of trying to emulate.

I don’t intend to do any poling. Would have a trolling motor on the bow. The Egret has a poling platform that is rarely used and I would not put one on my next boat.

Building and completing one of the first FS 19 boats while also documenting it here on the forum was a great experience for me. Not having a prior build documented was one of the motivations to document mine. The support of the forum also encouraged me to continue my progress and keep me going.

As a result, I’m not put off by building something that hasn’t been documented before. Whatever I build will have a modified interior layout from the study plans so not too concerned with that either.

My main concerns are in regards to the hull providing a dry ride, good handling in a chop and top speed.

The FS 19 has a hull design that limits it’s top speed and that is the only reason I might hesitate to build it again.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good to hear from you Browndog!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Browndog I just looked at the study plans again it lists the draft of the PH22 at 8".

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Browndog I just looked at the study plans again it lists the draft of the PH22 at 8". The MG20 does not list its draft but maybe Barraman has an idea.

Tom