Thinking about building a bay boat

Ask questions before buying our plans or request a new design. Anybody can post here
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Thinking about building a bay boat

Post by TomW1 »

Browndog I just looked at the study plans again it lists the draft of the PH22 at 8". The MG20 does not list its draft maybe Barraman has an idea..

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Looks like the Mangusta 20 draft is a little more than I’d like. The PH 22 might be the answer.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

Boats are always a compromise! What you gain with 18o deadrise you lose in ability to run in skinny water! :D

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I mean… 4’ fin keel on my 24’ Helms kind of makes the MG20+ FBBB seem like a super shallow water boat to me!

;-)
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:46 pm Browndog I just looked at the study plans again it lists the draft of the PH22 at 8". The MG20 does not list its draft maybe Barraman has an idea..
Tom
I've been thinking about this! 8O

What does a draft of 8" actually mean?? :doh: That a bare PH22 hull will float in 8" of water? :doh:
If that's the case, then I figure that a bare Mangusta 20 hull as designed, ie not up-scaled, should float in about 13" of water.

I don't deliberately do skinny water, but if the above is true does 5" really make that much difference?

If the 8" for the PH22 includes the OB, then I don't know how that works as even my 40 hp motor projects 14" below the almost flat bottom of the boat. I can't see how you can make that work without a jack plate and at least a semi-surfacing prop! :doh:

As quoted in my build thread, I can comfortably get a start in 18" of water - less if I am prepared to plough a bit at the start! :lol:
Where we fish, we occasionally run a aground! :help: Fortunately its mostly on muddy bottoms, and I can get a start in about 6" of water if I am prepared to get the prop refurbished occasionally! :lol:

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

Barraman, the MG 20 is no doubt an outstanding boat and the way you’ve adapted it and use it is the main reason why I have been considering it. It’s top speed is very alluring. After further thought, the narrower beam of the MG 20 is something I’m not sure will meet my needs.

I want and need some kind of a V-hull to handle the chop in the Sound when transiting but 18 degrees at the transom is what my offshore boat has and that boat has proven to me that it does not handle well the inshore fishing conditions that I mainly encounter at low tide.

Although I’m really not intending to be operating in the shallowest spots like the marsh flats or up in the grass, the general area I live in, and operate my boats in, has the 2nd largest tidal fluctuations on the East Coast of North America. Our normal tidal fluctuations are 7-10 feet every 6 hours. Sometimes at a dead low tide the wind direction, or on those days with a strong Minus tide, can cause an area that normally has water to be 1-2 feet above water. Running aground here is not a matter of if, it is more a matter of when. Add in shifting sand bars and storm induced changes and things can get interesting if you haven’t been out on the water in a while and may be unaware of the changes that’ve occurred.

Many people here use flat bottom skiffs because of their efficiency, ability to handle large loads and operate in very shallow water, but in any kind of a chop they beat you to death.

In the one year that my brother’s boat was used here the FS-19 proved to be extremely capable in meeting my needs with one exception, it wasn’t as fast as my current boat.

Seriously been thinking to just build another FS-19 because of it’s proven capabilities. It is super efficient and has one of the best rides of any boat I’ve been in. Perhaps I could learn to live with it’s slower speed.

For certain the FS-19 will fit into my garage! Albeit without a windshield on the console ;). There are just a few changes I would make from that build to make it even better.

It is unclear to me what the speed range of the PH 22 is due to the few builds that have been documented. Maybe those of you that have built the PH 18 can chime in with what you have seen in that regard.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Browndog one thing to note is that the PH22 lists 125hp as max but will easily handle a 150. I believe that is what a couple of the builders put on theirs as I recall Jaques approved this but never got around to updating the study plans.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

A 150HP would make a PH22 fly!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Jeff wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:04 am A 150HP would make a PH22 fly!!! Jeff
Yes sir Jeff just finished running the PH22 with Yamaha's 115 since they don't have a 125 and the 150 for the PH22 at 2200lbs which is a 1000lbs over Jacques hull weight a 115 will be around 45 and a 150 is around 52mph. Will let Browndog decide how fast he wants to go. I helped him prop his earlier boat, still have it in my files.

Tom

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, that is fast!!! Jeff