Panga 22

To help other builders, please list the boat you are building in the Thread Subject -- and to conserve space, please limit your posting to one thread per boat.

Please feel free to use the gallery to display multiple images of your progress.
jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Panga 22

Post by jljones »

IMG_20230408_120634367_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230410_170445606_HDR.jpg
This is my second panga 22, my brother put a Yamaha 70 on it and it is great, about 30 mph top,
I found a Yamaha 90 for less price than a 70, so that's what they are putting on it, it still is at the Yamaha dealership,it weighs 100 pounds more, so I did not make it self bailing, foam filled only on our sides of the stringers, water can pass front to rear, thinking bilge pump will be forward of frame d,
Also did away with the toe Buster's, frames in cockpit above deck, made frames from sapilo 1by 2 turned on its side, porta potty sits on hull bottom for more head room in the console

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Panga 22

Post by fallguy1000 »

You kind of messed up laying the toe busters the way you did.

The boat WILL experience opening and closing at the gunnel and deck.

To alleviate this issue; you could add more seam tapes, like 2 layers of 1708 tapes at the deck/hullsides interface.

All the best. Dan
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

For some reason Fallguy likes 1708 the 08 is a mass of fibers going any which way providing very little strength, less than 4oz woven. Seams on most boats are only one layer of fiberglass as they are glued to the frame below if your plans call for dual layers on the seams it is probably 12oz but check your plans and see what they call for. You need to be able to feather the tape to the deck.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:04 pm For some reason Fallguy likes 1708 the 08 is a mass of fibers going any which way providing very little strength, less than 4oz woven. Seams on most boats are only one layer of fiberglass as they are glued to the frame below if your plans call for dual layers on the seams it is probably 12oz but check your plans and see what they call for. You need to be able to feather the tape to the deck.

Tom
Just for stiffness. Stiffness is related to thickness, so two layers of 1708 are thicker than two layers of 1700 is all. About 0.050 for the 08 and about 0.035 for the 00.

So, if you spec 0.100; you'd need 3 layers of 1700 or two of the 08. Weight almost exactly the same..

Feathering is done by staggering.

But the main point is changing the frames is not arbitrary.

jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jljones »

I disagree with with the statement about the frame members, after reading I did add another layer of 16 oz bi-directional glass at floor and topsides.

the reason is this. if the frame member came through the floor from bottom then it would add good strength, the kit had small pieces taped to topside and a 1/2 inch by 2 inch taped to floor , that is not going to help alot. also the strength of the rub rail deck and combing assembly with a 9 inch deck is spreading forces other a very large area om the top sides.

I do have a question, when by myself in the boat running 15 to 20 mph I think to bow should be lower to soften ruff seas, I am thinking about buying the 10 x 10 tabs with 90 pound springs. with people I can put them on the casting deck.

I put a 90 hp on the boat, it weighs 100 pounds more than the 70. FYI 40 mph top, I do not recommend the 90 but it is nice with lots of people and at 20 mph it is running 500 rpm less than the 70 hp

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Disagreeing when right is fine, but here it is not correct.

All you want to do is prevent hull deflection in the X direction. If the boards were not connected to the sole, we could agree, but even then, the purpose is to provide for a flat for the gunwhale and to prevent the hull from opening in the X.

Nominal lumber bends less in the 2" direction than the 1" direction. And the bonding surface for tabbing to the sole and gunwhale is also doubled.

A designer doesn't sit at the drawing board and intentionally try to make toe busters. The goal is to create a boat that can hit a wave hard and not open in deflection or twist atop the gunwhale because boats can only do that so long before they stress crack. For literally thousands of years, boats have been built with transverse frames oriented correctly.

JM is not here to defend his drawings, but we need to be careful about telling others modifying the designs in this way is okay. It is not.

I've no desire to offend you and am glad to see the project, but it is important that others build their boats correct.

Not sure if Tom understands what we are talking about, but he went to Westlawn and instead of complaining about me suggesting adding 1708 tape; he ought to discuss turning the transverse frames. It is simply not done..

jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jljones »

Faqllguy1000 I guess time will tell

I do not know why pictures are rotated, there correct when clicked on
Attachments
panga5.jpg
panga4.jpg
panga3.jpg
panga2.jpg
panga1.jpg

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

The boat is really lovely. Tennessee, what body of water?

You'll be fine on inland waters with your change. It is the 4' chop on 4' swells that'll beat a boat to death.