Panga 20 MOD.

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
JBPhoenix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Panga 20 MOD.

Post by JBPhoenix »

Good morning all! I want to make the below modification to my Panga 20 build. I have several reasons for this mod but most importantly for easier bow access which is the preferred method of loading boats here in the Philippines. I can work out the modifications required for Stations A, B, & C, rails, etc. My problem is the extrapolation of measurements from the 2D line I have drawn to the 3D pattern of the sides that form the compound curve for the new hull-upper shape. I only have Adobe AI to play with and I am struggling a bit to draw these out.
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 12.47.05.png
If anyone has any advice on how to do this I would love some insight.

Cheers Team!
Last edited by JBPhoenix on Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Panga 20 MOD.

Post by Cowbro »

My advice would be to not modify the stem line prior to planking the hull. I would leave the hull side panels long to be trimmed after the flip to your desired sheer. Then, after the flip, and after the sheer is cut, I would add on additional material to get the forward facing curve on the stem that you have drawn, if you still desire it at that point.

Phil

JBPhoenix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBPhoenix »

Phil: That makes sense mate. I imagine I can do that also with the Hull-side pieces. If I can cut them with a little extra meat on the width, I could draw the new shape on the side once flipped?

Cheers Mate, I just needed to look further down the process. Awesome.

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

Good luck! Make sure you post pics on here when you get to building.

Phil

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I am going to disagree. The Pangas are difficult to stitch at the bow. Draw your changes on the plans so you get the dimensions right for your changes and then you can cut the panels together at one time so they match. You are making changes on about 1/2 the panel and cutting both when they are separated will be difficult to do accurately. The plans are to scale and are easy to change.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dan_Smullen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dan_Smullen »

Maybe rather than trying to stretch the panels at the bow, creating a stem, out of plywood or solid wood, that accepts the panels as drawn in the plans would provide a physical line to work too. Adding extra to the top of the panel should be easy, and shaping the shearline to your liking can be done after the boat is flipped and you can get a good look at the shape.

Good luck and post pics!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Don't overlook the changes to LCG with the extra material that far forward and that high. This will lower the bow a bit (amount depends on weight) and will add to roll.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

The changes to sheer are fine.

You won't be able to get that bow shape in dev panel. That is, the flat panels will NOT bend together and form the radiused stem. Simply not possible. The points of contact are physically impossible.

In order to modify the stem; you will need to build the boat as planned, then you can add pieces to the deveioped hull to get that stem the way you wish.

The way this is achieved in the LB26 is to add pieces vertically. In your case, the best way to do the shape changes is after glassing the original hull.

Here is a picture of the LB26 planking plan. Will add later! It should help you when you are ready.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

JBPhoenix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBPhoenix »

Good morning! I love this forum for the very replies posted above. I have been here a year or so but I post very little, the attention and time you guys give to advice and opinions is second to none.

I have a bit to take in here and some more study, but I wanted to thank EVERYONE for their replies.

Cheers Guys!

JBPhoenix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBPhoenix »

The drawing below shows the original stem as per the plans (black). - Taking in what has been said -
Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 10.09.18.png
1. I will keep the original stemline created by the drawing and shown above.

2. Add the shape modification to the Hull "Sides" pattern ensuring accurate repeatability.

3. Add the stem Mod. as a separate solid piece (will need to look at the best way of doing that)

4. Modify all other parts to meet the new lines on the sides.

Keeping in mind that ALL loading for the boat - people and supplies etc will be made over the bow via a plank laid forward to concrete steps, there is no option for side loading at the local "docks" in my area. The Mod. will need to be STRONG as possible.

I feel as though I am getting there slowly, Thanks for all the input thus far!

JB