TX18+10%. Change of material thickness for ribs

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Vundu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

TX18+10%. Change of material thickness for ribs

Post by Vundu »

Hi guys.
Busy installing the stringers on my Build. Running low on 3/8ply for the ribs but have lots of 1/4 and 400gsm glass. (I would have to import ply which is a pain).

I have adjusted the ribs placement from 1005mm to 830mm so adding 2 in the build.

My question is: is it safe to substitute the 3/8 ply for the stringers with 1/4? If so but the safety is marginal, should I change the glassing schedule to compersate?

Any advise welcome, thanks.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: TX18+10%. Change of material thickness for ribs

Post by OneWayTraffic »

By ribs I'm not sure if you mean stringers (bow to stern) or frames (port to starboard.)

In either case I would laminate your 6mm plywood to make 12mm or 18mm whatever the requirement is. That seems stronger for the weight than adding a lot of glass. Since you are building an upscaled boat I would not reduce the scantlings anywhere under any circumstances. The plans have some margin of safety but you are already eating into that with the scale up.

Vundu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vundu »

Thanks onewaytraffic. I do mean frames. I agree the +10% is already adding alot of potential force, that's one of the reasons I added 2 frames to reduce spacing. Plans call for Approximately 920mm spacing, add 10% is over 1000mm. I reduced to Approximately 830mm.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Double up the thinner ply. Stronger and lighter.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

If you have enough double up the 1/4" then you would not have to glass the frames just coat them with epoxy which I believe is what the plans call for.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Vundu
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Vundu »

Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated! I will go ahead as you have all suggested.