need paint recommendation

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: need paint recommendation

Post by BarraMan »

My boat is ‘rolled and tipped’ with 2 pack polyurethane International Perfection paint in Arctic White. Excellent finish, easy to use, tough - glare has not been an issue.

Epoxy primer, 2 pack polyurethane undercoat, top coat.

If my white boat has faded in 8 yrs, it’s not obvious!

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would like to point out to who ever said it that Awlgrip is not just a spray paint that it also has a brushing reducer as well as the spray reducer. The 2 best paints in the store are the EMC and Awlgrip. Awlgrip has an Oyster White that may be what you are looking for but the color charts not great, and Quantum EMC has a couple of offwhites that I can't read the names of. Beware both of these paints are expensive and there are other options. The inerlux is also a very good paint.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

Having painted 2 boats, and repainted 3 I will use EMC Quantum over the top of S3 Yacht primer until they stop making it or I stop painting boats. The Oyster white is just enough off white where the glare is not an issue. Follow the mixing directions carefully and you'll be good. They sell both here.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I'm no painter and look for easy app, longevity, and possibility of touch up. Have used EMC twice and loved it.

Dougster

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:14 am I would like to point out to who ever said it that Awlgrip is not just a spray paint that it also has a brushing reducer as well as the spray reducer. The 2 best paints in the store are the EMC and Awlgrip. Awlgrip has an Oyster White that may be what you are looking for but the color charts not great, and Quantum EMC has a couple of offwhites that I can't read the names of. Beware both of these paints are expensive and there are other options. The inerlux is also a very good paint.

Tom
That was me and I used the brushing reducer and it did not do much for the wet edge time. I call it Awfulgrip. The primer open time is terrible. Think it is called 545, and I hate it.

Here, I googled it and someone else thinks the same as me. It is the primer I despise.. When marketing decides to sell spraypaint as rollable; this is the result..

Funny thing is I felt like the topcoat was open too long; go figure.

https://forums.iboats.com/threads/545-awlgrip.59792/
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495