I have a dream

See our FAQ and tutorials before posting.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

I have a dream

Post by fallguy1000 »

I have a dream that Systems 3 can run the tinting to a QA standard.

Today, my order arrives super fast, thanks Jeff and Reid for getting it here before next week.

But the hardener colors are not healthy.

See the two dark ones?
IMG_0550.jpeg
Now, see them.

IMG_0551.jpeg
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

fallguy1000

Re: I have a dream

Post by fallguy1000 »

Am I asking for too much?

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

I've noticed the same thing. It is particularly frustrating after getting used to pouring out the "dark" hardener for a while, and to then pick up the next bottle that is almost clear. And then mistaking it for resin when mixing... or mistaking fast for slow hardener. I've had a couple of close calls. I've started labelling the bottles in the same way as FG now.
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

I went through a number of different batches of silvertip from a number of sources during my build and never saw anything other than what your one light bottle of hardener looks like. If I got one of the apple juice looking ones I probably would have called them to make sure it was ok to use.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Finishing up an “apple juice” one now. Next three are clear.

I’ve gotten in the habit of marking all the jugs “1” or “2” as they come out of the box. Reminds me which is which and keeps me mindful of the dosing of each at the same time.

Jbo

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I don't think it's too much to ask. My dream has been that when mixed, the resin is some specific, clearly identifying color to prove you got the mix right. That too much?

He can dream Dougster

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I’ve had that dream too, Dougster. They do it with fairing compound . . .

Jbo

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Dougster wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:43 am I don't think it's too much to ask. My dream has been that when mixed, the resin is some specific, clearly identifying color to prove you got the mix right. That too much?

He can dream Dougster
Stuff ain't cheap~seems like they could sell it as another premium unless it affected their other attributes like low offgassing and low blush.

mhd
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by mhd »

I asked Jeff at System Three about the issue. Here is his reply...

"Hardeners can yellow with time, but this could also relate to variations in color of the raw materials we use to manufacture our products. In either event, this will have no impact on the physical properties of the product."

Mick
FB11 (Designer Evan Gatehouse)
VG23 (Designer Jacques Mertens)

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, con a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

mhd wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:40 am I asked Jeff at System Three about the issue. Here is his reply...

"Hardeners can yellow with time, but this could also relate to variations in color of the raw materials we use to manufacture our products. In either event, this will have no impact on the physical properties of the product."

Mick
This is how customer service fails. It is when management says everything is fine after the customer complains.